Subaru EJ20 DOHC timing belt

morrisman1, Jan 5, 9:17am
The neighbor has one with a leaking water pump, I have given them the printout from autodata for the turbo one because that was the only DOHC model that autodata had. Is the timing procedure the same for the turbo one as far as timing marks lining up and all that jazz! It looks like not a bad job to do, a fair bit of room especially if you remove the radiator. Its a 1994 legacy wagon

franc123, Jan 5, 9:54am
Yes it is, remember that on some of those quads the timing marks on the LH bank sprockets don't line up exactly with the marks on the inner belt covers, it pays to mark everything in relation to each other before pulling it apart.I'd also highly recommend replacing the belt with a genuine one if it needs doing, ditto the hydraulic tensioner and at least check and preferably replace the other idlers too.

thunderbolt, Jan 5, 10:38am
The Gates belt has the timing marks on it, so is easy to getthe timing right.
Repco & Appco now selling the Gates timing kits which have all that you need excluding the water pump.
Other than that, as suggested above.

mk3zephyr, Jan 5, 5:39pm
piece of wees to do, As franc123 says line up the timing and mark it all with a paint marker or something before you take the belt off, you shouldnt have any issues if you do that and when the belt is off dont touch any of the cam sprockets lol

franc123, Jan 5, 8:25pm
Good, thats the reason why I recommended using genuine, if the gates one has the marks on it then by all means use one, it does make the job easier.Wasn't sure whether they had them or not.Theirfull timing kits are well worth getting.