Timing belt & components

randsdyson, Mar 6, 6:18pm
Would anyone know the cost of replacing the timing belt and components for a 1998 Toyota Starlet Ep91. And perhaps recommend where to have it done. Thank you.

kazbanz, Mar 6, 6:46pm
about $800

intrade, Mar 6, 9:31pm
depends i used to do ones with external water-pump for 260 . you can double that now and some extra 800 would be including water pump and coolant . belts seals etc

toyboy3, Mar 7, 8:23am
At the age of the car I would just do the timing belt and possibly the alternator belt, unless the car is in exceptional good order as the cars value will be exceeded in the replacement of all parts

intrade, Mar 7, 11:23am
wel i sortof agree with you to a point. its a fine line . I usually say if its rusting and the owner can not do this work them self to start saving for a new one 2000 year if possible .
Here is the argument against it if you buy a 2012 toyota for cheap and it is neglected and lets face it its more easy to find a neglected toyota due to the fact of how most toyota owners are cheapskates who think oil changes are a optional extra that other car makes need.
I DIGRESS.
So the cost to fix a 2012 one will be many folds more then what ever could fail on this old one.
just to name one shorted out abs unit rusted due to neot exchange brake fluid. with it should fail wof when stability control light is now on permanent and the controller under water from water intrusion. that repair is already 5 grand upwards on the 2012 neglected model and some of it was not neglect just extra bonus problems to cost you more money.
So if you look at it from this point its well worth sinking more then the old one is wort to save overall costs.

marte, Mar 7, 6:53pm
Thanks, that's another good reason to convince people to change the brake fluid when they say to.

realtrader1, Mar 7, 7:17pm
Get some quotes but two places to really recommend. First is Geoff Blackler Motors in Orbell St and also recommend Maxi Auto on Blenheim Rd ChCh.

hotelcarpet, Sep 5, 3:40pm
If you're taking the timing gear off you may as well do the valve stem seals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohwemehdIk
I take it's running a little smelly, probably only the exhaust ones need doing.