Any thoughts on this Mondeo please!

thunderbolt, Jan 6, 9:45pm
Bit expensive really.
Friend of mine just sold a 2003 version done 160k, very tidy and good service history for 5k thru Trade me.

3tomany, Jan 6, 9:59pm
haggle the price and be aware that auto versions are a bit gutless and might not be more economical than a falcon or commy. otherwise just get it mechanicly checked out. theres not a lot of known problems with these

unbeatabull, Jan 6, 10:10pm
They are generally pretty sound cars, Plugs/Leads/Coil pack are about the only common thing of concern but aren't expensive to replace, and the new style coil doesn't give any troubles.

As said Autos can be a little gutless, expect to do Brake Rotors at same time as brake pads as they wear about the same, and check coolant condition and level as water pump, coolant hoses, header tank and thermostat housing are getting on a bit at that mileage and are known to go if Coolant isn't kept up to date

brummoi, Jan 6, 10:12pm
thanks guys - I'll hold off for now and see what else comes up

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 10:17pm
I agree 2.0 Auto is a write off. bit gutless dosn't really explain the screaming pain these cars are in when driving over large hills and ranges.

Now that said a 2.0 Manual one is a pretty decent car.

If you like the Mondeo for that sort of money I suggest you look at VW Passat's. The 1.8 Turbo would likely suit well. The auto's are much much better and the car is nicer again to drive and travel in. Better put together and better engineered as well.

Passat's are still good buying in that price range, ideally you would get the 2001 facelifted one for your budget which has improvements that are more than skin deep.

Audi A4 and Mk4 VW Golf may also suit and there are often bargains in those as well.

mike77, Jan 6, 10:54pm
I looked at buying one (same model / year roughly) for a while to replace a falcon wagon, went for a few test drives . and yep, just upgraded to a newer falcon wagon for the same price. Ok to drive, but like everyone else says, the 2.0 and autos were slow for the petrol it uses.

If you really liked the hatches - a nicer car to look at, would be the only reason I'ld buy one.

dbolton, Jan 7, 10:55pm
Pretty good drivable car particularly the manual version and in that form quite economical. Up to 2003 many did have problems with the butterfly valves on the inlet manifold which can be removed or replaced which by the way the engines in these I are a collaboration with Mazda and are very reliable plus they have a cam chain. Door actuator locks have a habit of failing