Mondeo. Any body out there know if you can put an older motor eg 19992001 into a 2002 my dad has a 2002 wagon auto and his motor

chaz_alexis, Nov 6, 9:13pm
any body out there know if you can put an older motor eg 1999_2001 into a 2002 my dad has a 2002 wagon auto and his motor is poked an it seems to be cheaper to get an older motor any help will be much appreciated

franc123, Nov 6, 9:18pm
Definitely not, they are two completely different engines.May I ask how its got poked in the first place, was it overheated!

chaz_alexis, Nov 6, 9:53pm
at first it was the radiator fixed that,now it maybe head and or head gasket,i am unsure of how many times he has over heated it,so in answering your q yes it has been over heated

ryanm2, Nov 6, 11:00pm
there is a common fault with those later mondeo engines - there are tutorials on youtube about it. Using plastic pieceswhen they should have used alloy or similar.

fordcrzy, Nov 7, 2:48am
common probs are the thermostat failing open so they dont heat up.also the intake butterflies rattle and fall out and can be ingested by the engine.not good. they solved that issue on the 2004+ ones

unbeatabull, Nov 7, 3:13am
A 2001 model motor could be similar to a '02 but definately not a motor from something pre-01/00

Headgaskets are quite common, we do a lot of them at work, and are fairly simple to do after you've done a few. Usually the heads can warp though and if it's an alloy block . it can be cheaper to do a replacement engine as you've suggested. I would recommend a good place to get a 2nd engine from but Trademe tends to frown upon that.

chaz_alexis, Nov 7, 4:10am
thnx heps guys

jfstyle, Nov 11, 7:37am
if it is a mk3 mondeo (ie 2001 to 2006 model the motor is stuffed.If they overhead the liners move in the block.people doing head gasket jobs dont work.The problem starts from the fact the coolant bottle needs replacing at five years,any ford dealer will check it at every serice for this as they crack,if you love your car get a new motor.I mean a new new one as a ford dealer will get it for you no problem,about 5500 for the motor + fitting.make sure u get them to order from ford uk a therosat with it as it doesnt come with the engine,second choice just right it off as a bad dream and sell it as is.

fordcrzy, Feb 18, 2:45pm
please people don't forget that these engines are MZR Mazda engines so the issues that the mondys have are shared with the mazda 6 and 3.