Need a car, Mondeo or Falcon or.

pcguitarist, Sep 15, 9:10am
Hey. So here's the deal. I've been looking for a new car for the past couple weeks and have found myself leaning heavily towards a Ford. Right now I'm thinking either a Mondeo or Falcon. I've got a budget of $20k tops and must be under 100k's. I've found a few nice xr6's 2006 below 80k's but perhaps someone can lend their thoughts/experiences! My driving is 80% open road SH and back roads to farms (selling the 4WD.no need). Some good boot space or atleast seats folding down is quite important.but please, no 4WD's. Cheers!

twit7, Sep 15, 9:51am
go falcon, mondo is a big car but a bit under powered.

thunderbolt, Sep 15, 10:36am
Yep, BF Falcon is a good choice, pretty much all of the BA niggles were well and truly sorted, and 100km is nothing for those engines.

mellisa2000, Sep 15, 10:36am
Go for the 'Coon, over a Mondeo for your driving, you won't regret it. In town, I'd go the other way. The falcon is a big comfy cruiser, with tons of grunt and great economy. For your budget, the XR6's you would be looking at, BA/BF are capable of under 8L/100km on a cruise.

crzyhrse, Sep 15, 10:39am
Forget the XR6. Go Fairmont.

franc123, Sep 15, 10:43am
You will appreciate the extra go that the XR6 will deliver, especially in hilly conditions, RWD may possibly be an asset too.Not that there is anything wrong with the Mondeo's open road abilities and handling generally, they have always been regarded as being near the top of the class in this area.Remember that XR Falcon models have always commanded a premium in the used market, you may find that a Futura or Fairmont model will do you just as well maybe even a bit better for cheaper, bit softer ride and less plastic bits to get damaged!These have got higher profile tyres too and are preferable if metal roads are likely to be on the menu.

franc123, Sep 15, 10:44am
lol snap

pcguitarist, Sep 15, 6:53pm
Thanks for the comments!

kwaka5, Oct 28, 3:17am
Just been thru the same thing. Ended up with a 07 fairmont ghia with 126k on the clock for 17k. To get the same in the mondeo was about another 2 - 3 k. The modeo's do have more room inside them due to the front wheel drive. but the fairmont is a nice drive.