Help! Peugeot ignition jammed

chicane8, Feb 24, 8:39am
Have a 94 Peugeot 405. Got home, switched the key off and cant take it out of the blardy ignition! Have been told its not uncommon in these French creations but whats the fix! New key and barrel! Any idea of cost, plus labour! Any hints on getting the key out! Or should I just kick my own arse for letting a Peugeot park in my driveway! Seriously tho, any helpful advice would be gratefully received as this certainly dont fit into the current budget. Thanks in advance.

ashwattau, Feb 24, 8:54am
First thing's first - check the steering lock isn't engaged.

jasongroves, Feb 24, 9:00am
Try the above first.
If you can still turn and start the car, take it to a locksmith.they will sort it out.

chicane8, Feb 24, 9:09am
Nah ignition aint locked. Key is on or off. From engine running will only switch off one spot. Wont go back to accessories (radio) spot, or obviously any further back. Locksmith! Or mechanic!

doriandarby, Feb 24, 9:17am
try the aa if you are a member.wife's renal clio (deliberate typo, horrible car) did the same.
Mr AA fixed it for us, told us to smooth the key's edges down a bit.

chicane8, Feb 24, 9:27am
Cheers doriand; not aa member but advice on smoothing edges (providing the damned key can be got out) makes sense. Btw, like the renal typo, think I should call this thing a Pugshit.

ginga4lyfe, May 22, 6:05pm
, sounds like a new barrel and key to me, and i wouldnt dis the pug myself, they can be quite nice cars, apparently the 405's dont rust! and they are quite cheap and reliable from what i know of, Dunno about general servicing and repairs though, otherwise, please dont force the ignition, Id just drive it to my closest auto electrician and have them sort it out, for all we know the combo ign switch may be jamming the barrel