Nissan Safari - splitting gearbox from block

owene, Jan 8, 9:58am
Need to put a new clutch in and am aware of need for a gearbox jack as the box weighs 230kg. But someone has mentioned that oem the bellhousing is glued onto the block with something and the first split is a nightmare. Does anyone have any experience of this issue!

morrisman1, Jan 8, 10:00am
230kg just for the gearbox! Blimmen heck, thats more than my whole drivetrain combined!

dent, Jan 8, 10:00am
If its like the nissan terranos. I thnk they were silicon sealed to the block. Which will release fairly easy with a wiggle.

owene, Jan 8, 10:02am
Yep that includes the drive to the front axle and the mechanical winch. It's a monster.

peasgood, Jan 8, 11:38am
When i did my manual conversion,pull passenger seat out and put engine crane through door ,didnt have trans jack big enough to cope!there like a roadranger!pulled mtr to do clutch on another,found it eaiser,it handled better with the auto ,the motor maxed the engine crane out,just dowels to housing ,just found unless you gota hoist ,and a proper trans jack it better to pluck motor.

chris_051, Jan 8, 11:43am
First time I did one, we pulled off the transfer case, unbolted the exhaust downpipe so the engine can be angled back far enough, so we didn;t need to rotate the box inside the trans tunnel to slide in/out, as we didn;t have a jack or hoist, took 3 of us to lift it out/in, Haven't done one since and don;t plan to.

longnite, Jan 8, 6:27pm
There sealed to stop water getting into the clutch easy to crack the seal but remember to reseal both sides of the motor to gear box mounting plateagain and the starter motor mounting face.
Not sure if you have torsion bars in the front like the terrano but if you do you willhave to remove them to drop it out the bottom because the transfer case is wider than the gap between the torsion bars

owene, Jan 9, 5:08am
Thanks. You mean sealed as in for river-work etc! There must be a breather somewhere on it!

msigg, Jan 9, 5:24am
$1000 you can get it done by someone else. easier to do your owne job and then pay someone else to do the clutch.