RAV 4 Cambelt

Page 2 / 2
vtecintegra, Feb 24, 11:29pm
Even the higher performance models have longer intervals though - for instance an American Integra with a B18c is 6 years or 90,000 miles or 7 years or 105,000miles depending on year.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 24, 11:35pm
BTW the Hiace being so popular here is just due NZ importing obscene amounts of used Japanese imports. Thats whey everything automotive in this country is so askew compared to the rest of the world.

That said, people are waking up, I just stepped out to grab my mail from the postie driving a VW Caddy. Also. how many Hiace Ambulances do you see in this country!

So many companies and individuals are realising how much money is thrown away when you run Toyota's and other outdated Asian diesels.

Its not the manufacturers fault, for a decade they had no incentive to develop good diesels (due to regulation) and with this happening while the rest of the world dramatically changed their technology they got left behind.

They are slowly catching up but still have a way to go after being right out of the game in terms of technology for so long at such a crucial time.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 24, 11:39pm
BTW, if you ever needed any proof that much of the misinformation spread through car yards and the auto trade is just that. misinformation. Consider how many tell you that Diesel cars are uneconomical in NZ nowadays, yet when you could import Asian diesel cars the opposite was spouted!

Of course unless you are paying a premium on the purchase price Diesel is usually the most economical option in NZ, anyone with a calculator can prove it too.

vtecintegra, Feb 24, 11:42pm
A huge portion of the commercial van fleet here is actually NZ new Hiaces.Look at courier vans, most have the NZ front on them.

phillip.weston, Feb 24, 11:47pm
yeah the Hiace was popular before the flood of used imports came along. The only van which comes close to popularity is the Transit, which in my opinion is a damn good van and given the range they come in (ie jumbo high roof), engine in front of cab etc, they are probably a better option than the Hiace. but people go for the Hiace for a reason - they are cheap to run and repair.

vtecintegra, Feb 24, 11:52pm
Also some businesses got badly burned by the earlier Transits they bought in here.

Back when I drove a van for a living the company I worked for ran late 90s non-turbo diesel Transits and honestly those had no redeeming features whatsoever (they even managed to rust faster than the Hiaces they replaced which I'd have thought was impossible).The next shape was an absolutely massive improvement though aside from the rear doors falling off regularly.

craig04, Feb 25, 4:14am
Touche! You want something exciting to say about beige! Try combining the word "beige" with the word "Camry". That'll get your heart racing.

phillip.weston, Feb 25, 4:30am
*shudders at the thought of a Beige Camry*

kcc55a, Feb 25, 9:05am
it used to be 70,000 for cambelt replacement then the factory downgraded it to 60,000 now they have added in the 3 year bit.As for the teeth stripping. Here's the Wellington Agents who have been repairing Alfa for 20 + years saying the belt could stretch. Lot of difference between stretching and stripping. Incidentally my Variator replaced at the cambelt job didnt last much longer than 3 years but they wouldnt replace it under warranty despite having done only 11000km at that stage. I love the Alfa to drive but suspect the Agents like my money more.

suplyuparts, Feb 25, 10:22am
how bout.just get it done.piece of mine.sorted.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 10:39pm
O.K so you have the 2.0. With that in mind you can actually get the cambelt done quite affordably with a little bit of sorting beforehand.

The variators usually last a bit longer than what you have struck (I find typically closer to 100'000km) but either way since you have been burnt I would suggest you fit a "rebuild kit" at every change. The rebuild kit may not be available in NZ but should be easy enough to find online. While you are at it you may want to order the rest of the parts online as well.

The reason for the rebuild kit as opposed to the replacement variator is its about a third of the price. The only catch is the variator you fit the kit to needs to be in fairly good shape still. No point in fitting one if its already sounding like a diesel.

If you are handy with tools the twin spark is a reasonably easy change, its really helpful to have a TDC gauge and the appropriate timing tools are a must. The likes of Italian Auto's will likely lend you the tools if you buy your parts from them.

If your local Alfa guys are a bit steep it might be worth considering getting a very competent regular mechanic to do the job. I know of a very competent guy of here for example that is more than happy with these euros to let the cusotmer turn up with all the genuine bits and the appropriate tools then he can just rip in and do the job.

The key thing here though is still. don't push it over the revised intervals. They are there for a reason and the factory that designed/manufactured that motor definitely know better than any armchair speculators who have probably never even changed a cambelt on one of those.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 25, 10:46pm
Variator kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alfa-Fiat-Coupe-Lancia-Genuine-VARIATOR-REPAIR-KIT-/150566228542!pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230e72523e

If thats the going rate nowdays its even cheaper than I remember. I would suggest checking price and availablitiy in NZ with Dino Enterprises and Italian Autos and then grabbing that one if you can't get it cheap in NZ.

kcc55a, Feb 25, 11:43pm
Thanks for the really helpful advice. UK Alfa forum agrees with everything said about the cambelt changes.LOL theres a 156 2L advertised on TM with 85K cambelt not done and owner promises that a mech will do the cambelt at 100K.Much appreciate the referrals, have previously been in touch with Dino's and also bought some bits s/hand from UK. Thats a very useful link for the variator kit. I'm in Lr Hutt and finding competent Mechs for an Alfa isnt easy. Too long in the tooth to do stuff myself tho I used to play a lot with Lotus Twin Cam engines. Think I know somebody who might fit the bill. The Alfa agents in Wellington used to be very switched on and helpful but seem to have moved to a "squeeze the dollars out of the customer" policy that wasnt present a couple of years back

thejazzpianoma, May 28, 12:02pm
You most welcome kkc55a, I am always happy to help out if I can. If they mechanic you know dosn't work out perhaps get hold of the Alfa club in your area.
The clubs are very low key and heaps of fun, even if you don't join I am sure the area rep would love to point you in the direction of a decent mechanic. Might be worth going along to one of their get togethers to say gidday anyhow, if its anything like our local chapter you will be welcomed with open arms and likely have a ball.
Best of luck with it and happy motoring!

One more thing. if your mechanic friend has not done one before there is a video series on youtube that gives you some clues and some great super detailed instructions on some of the Alfa Forums. Let me know if you can't find either and I can post you some links. Just remember, flywheel and cam lockers are a must and a TDC gauge helps a lot too.