Brake fluid?

-cloud, Jan 10, 9:10am
Hey there, just wondering how often the brake fluid should be flushed/replaced!
And what are the consequences of having old fluid!
Cheers

mugenb20b, Jan 10, 9:13am
1. Once a year.
2. Corrosion to hydraulic brake components (master cylinder, slave cylinders, fluid leaks, etc.) And vapour lock. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, and NZ is a damp place, so flushing it regularly is highly recommended.

johnf_456, Jan 10, 9:13am
Spongy brakes, poor brake performance, corrosion .

morrisman1, Jan 10, 9:14am
old fluid absorbs water, water has a boiling point much lower than brake fluid so you can boil your brakes a lot earlier than with fresh fluid.

I suspect that higher water content will cause corrosion too.

msigg, Jan 10, 6:18pm
every ten years if you want.If you do heavy towing slightly more but I don't know of anyone ever changed there brake fluid and owning the cars for ten years or more, none of them have had accidents and the brakes preform as they should. They are checked every six months on a break machine when they get a warrant. Sure others will say no must do, I would only do it if you start having problems. If your unsure just take it in and get it examined.

ceebee2, Jan 10, 6:34pm
Interesting subject, When I worked for a Mitsi franchise many moons ago we had a very expensive brake fluid testing machine that boiled the fluid. We gave up using it as it failed almost every new car PD check!
However I owned a VG Valiant for 20 years and always flushed / replaced the brake fluid every year. I never replaced the rear wheel cylinders in that time (Cast iron) so it does prove that flushing with Meths / replacing the fluid does work. I regularly flush / replace my customers cars brake fluid at yearly intervals.

intrade, Jan 10, 11:14pm
the correct answer is brake fluid change is every 24 month with full flushing you need 1.5 liter fluids to flush a normal car