Change timing chain on a 96 nissan sr20de attessa

mrfxit, Mar 2, 10:49pm
Been surfing till my eyes hurt & not finding any really usefull info on how to do it "in car" .
Who knows what & how it's done
Theres shite loads of gear in the way all over these buggers & stuff all room.
Seeing as the front plate is stuck between the head & sump, how the plik is this job done in the shops

it's really just the "O" rings in the plate (leaking) that has to be done but seeing as the cover has to come off, might as well do the rattly chain while it's off

mechnificent, Mar 2, 10:55pm
Some cars you can connect the new chain to the old with the master link then feed it through. On those they use a bright link for timing it though I suspect so if you let the chain come off the sprockets you will end up taking the front cover off anyway.

Have you tried downloading a pdf manual!
This place is good.http://pdftown.com/

mrfxit, Mar 2, 11:35pm
problem is that the cover has to come off anyway.
Apparently there are 2"O" rings at the top of the cover prone to leaking, which is exactly where there is a leak

intrade, Mar 3, 12:08am
i find plenty things , here is a wee trick use google picture to find things faster
http://www.mynismo.com/products/!id=5836 is what you want to replace id say if you do the job right.

intrade, Mar 3, 12:20am

mrfxit, Mar 3, 12:47am
WTF . gee's that a pig of an idea for lining up cam gears
Most I have delt with over the years have had a simple line across the cam faces to align with the top of the head chain cavity.

Are all those like that.

mechnificent, Mar 3, 1:53am
So where are these O rings!
If you have to take the front cover off it can be done with the head still on. Remove the sump then pull the timing cover out at the bottom till it comes off the dowels, then it will drop away from the head. When you put it back in, use sealer, and push the top of the cover in and up as far as possible before levering it up and onto the dowels again.

mrfxit, Mar 3, 4:04am
"O" rings are apparently at the top back corner of the cover.
It's a couple of oil gallerys sealed by "O" rings.
Apparently fairly common
Bit like the starters wearing out the back bearing.

mechnificent, Jun 10, 8:18am
Oh, in that case it sounds like a head off job. or live with an oil leak till the head needs doing.