Cutting out Problems - BJ5w 1500cc familia

vixin213, Jan 12, 6:32am
As per title , Engine dies or cuts out (around silverstream heading south every time for unknown reasons) ,Hesitates to start some mornings, cranks but doesnt fire.can be crash started though. Replaced the Air flow meter. ($100 well spent hahaha ) but still happens. Any help would be appreciated.

a.woodrow, Jan 12, 6:35am
Throttle position sensor

kazbanz, Jan 12, 8:38am
my first thought is that a coil pack is about to /is starting to die. Commonish occurrance -easy job to swap out a coil

dasfi, Jan 12, 8:58am
Distributor, have had this problem on 2 cars now, will just random die or sometimes not even start

vixin213, Jan 12, 8:36pm
This model doesnt have a distributor, has a mulit coil system (1 coil per 2 cylinders) or do you mean the pick up off the cam! Its very wierd when and where it dies. Its a very violent shuntand only happns on a particular part of the motorway every time. I would think if it were a coil it would just run badly, but instead its cutting out completely. A guy on trademe is selling a coil and air flow meter as he was faulting also with a poorly running sp20. Turns out it was the intake gasket being sucked into the head. Ill have to look into this.

bitchwitattitud, Jan 12, 8:48pm
I had the same issue with my SP20, running rough when it got hot and felt like it was dropping a coil. I took it to several "mechanics" who told me it could of been airflow meter, knock sensor, coilpack, cam angle sensor, auto trans (WTF!)

Hubby took it to a mates workshop who had a smoke machine, plugged it into intake and wow smoke pissing out between inlet manifold and head. A Big chunk of the gasket had disappeared! around $40 for a genuine gasket and a bottle of Jim Beam to fit :)

vixin213, Jan 13, 5:47am
bitchwitattitud,- Did the car run well most of the time and only play up once a day-ish!

edangus, Jan 13, 7:22am
Silly question.Fuel Filter!

vixin213, Jan 15, 11:25pm
Unpluged the oxygen sensor from the exhaust. Ran well with no cutting out or hesitations. Just lucky or possible cause!

guest, Jun 16, 5:17am
Changed the cam, crank and air flow sensors plus the fuel pump but it still keeps giving problems. The RPM goes weird suddenly and there is no power at times the car just dies. Would anyone know whats going on??