1985 Mazda Familia - low revs/stalling

azzi_razzi, Apr 28, 11:19pm
I have just purchased this car and I understand it's old and will take it to the mechanics asap but any advice appreciated :-) revs are really low on the car and it stops completely at lights, giveways etc (not everytime) Is this just because the car is old or can it be fixed do you think TIA

pandai, Apr 28, 11:29pm
Of course it can be fixed.It might even be a simple fix!

Are you using the choke!

azzi_razzi, Apr 28, 11:38pm
haha yeh sorry don't no much about cars ay! yeh but choke only works if i'm stopping for a short amount of time

un_known, Apr 28, 11:39pm
what size is the engine and is it carbed or injected!

johnf_456, Apr 28, 11:55pm
Manual choke! and course it can be fixed

r15, Apr 28, 11:56pm
turn up the idle.
(all this assumes the e5 1500cc carb'd engine found in familias from that time.)

if you look on the back side of the engine under the air filter housing, there is the carb. you will see on one side a half roundy thing with the throttle cable coming off it.if you cant find this, get someone to push up and down on the accellerator pedal inside the car while you watch (do this with engine off)

on the half roundy bit there will be a larger screw which adjusts where it comes to rest. this is the idle adjuster.turn this screw as desired to set your car's idle to about 800rpm when its warm without the choke on.

azzi_razzi, Apr 29, 2:00am
Wow thanks! assuming that is as simple as you make it sound I will try it tonight :-)

azzi_razzi, Apr 29, 2:02am
a very dumb question, where is the air filter housing!

tazzaboy2, Apr 29, 2:04am
my mazda does this but it a auto 1993.

azzi_razzi, Apr 29, 2:06am
What do you do! put it in park at the lights and rev!

richardmayes, Apr 29, 2:13am
It might be a better idea for you to ask one of your mechanically-minded friends to adjust the throttle cable mount to increase the idle speed a bit!

Only use the choke knob to control the idle speed when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed up, it needs to idle right without the choke pulled out.

These things are great little cars when they're going right, my girlfriend has one just like it.

johnf_456, Apr 29, 2:15am
They just go and go these cars.

cp2011, Apr 29, 3:38am
air filter housing it the big round/oval thing in the centre of engine with a wing nut in the centre,they are normally bright blue on those if i recall correctly !and i think idle is adjusted by a screw with a plastic cap on the end of it on the back of the carb !been a while since ive seen one of those old girls in the workshop

johnf_456, Apr 29, 4:51am
Correct i have a photo here some where ill up it soon

azzi_razzi, Apr 29, 6:39am
wow thanx everybody