Mazda Axela 1500cc, will it tow?

Page 1 / 3
cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:21am
I'm looking for cheap car to run, but also want something I can put a towbar on to tow my lightweight caravan once a year.! Will it work!

monaro17, Jan 27, 7:35am
Are meaning the brand of caravan liteweight! Or do you mean your caravan isn't heavy! Either way what size is the caravan and where are you towing to!

mini-mac, Jan 27, 7:36am
Reckon it will work alright~~bloody hard :-)

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:36am
The caravan light weight I'd say 1200, I lke a Mazda Axela 1500cc and was wondering if I put tow bar on it would it tow, I only ever go a hour. - 1 1/2 at a time drive.

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:38am
I also would only go a couple of times a year, that's why I'm looking at a smaller car budget wise I don't want something eating away weekly at my petrol.

monaro17, Jan 27, 7:41am
I'd have to say no to be honest- no doubt it 'would' tow it but it really shouldn't. That is too heavy and the car doesn't have the body to tow a load that 'large'. If they come in a 2L version that would be more suitable

monaro17, Jan 27, 7:43am
.especially if it was an auto- far too much strain on a little engine

msigg, Jan 27, 7:46am
Yes it will tow it but it won't look the part. I knew someone who towed a caravan all around the south Island with a 1500 sentra, taking it easy they were fine, Elderly couple. As above 2000cc or more would be better.

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:47am
They do come in bigger motor, but what are these cars like to run, I've got a 1998 two liter Mazda and it does cost a bit to run around in, someone said newer cars are cheaper to run, I was looking around 2004- 2007

gammelvind, Jan 27, 7:48am
I towed a full horse float laden with furniture from Wellington to Tauranga a couple of times behind a toyota corrola 1500. Yes it did work hard, but if you are only going a short distance a couple of times a year, I would suggest that if it were your only option and you were careful you shouln't have too many issues.

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:49am
It's a very old 1965 caravan I find it funny that old days Morris minors use to tow caravans but wonder if it was because they were heavier cars that hey could!

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:49am
I would rather the smaller motor if I could:)

monaro17, Jan 27, 7:52am
True- however they never used to wear seat belts back then either but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, it's just that there wasn't the choice there is today.

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 7:56am
So price wise am I better to run a cheap car and hire a big car twice a year to tow my caravan!

supernova2, Jan 27, 7:59am
Good luck on finding a rental car with a towbar.

monaro17, Jan 27, 8:04am
The 1.5 Mazda would tow the caravan (assuming there are little if any hills as it may overheat). It is by no stretch of the imagination ideal but if that is your only option then it will have to do. If it were MY decision I would want something a little larger

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 8:08am
Does anyone no if the 2lt version is cheap to run!

electromic, Jan 27, 8:14am
I wouldn't tow with the 1500 and auto but with the 2, 2.3, 2.5 maybe but would have it fully serviced, a trans cooler fitted and have decent caravan brakes. Otherwise hire a ute/van/falcoon/etc or pay someone to tow it for you. Is it 1200kg empty or loaded! I have been towing caravans/trailers up to 2000kg since 1989, my family were members of a caravan club.

trader_84, Jan 27, 8:14am
1.5 litre towing a caravan! I hope the cops pick you up and turf you off the road. The car won't have the power to tow and maintain an acceptable speed . your brakes will be over worked . and if you do get into trouble - your car will not have the grunt or weight to 'drive out of it' Stump up and get a tow wagon like everybody else.

monaro17, Jan 27, 8:17am
The 2L would have reasonable fuel economy- bad compared to a Daihatsu Mira, good compared to a Falcon. Its subjective

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 8:19am
Not to sure not been able to weigh, I'mtaking a guess.

cassiusarmani, Jan 27, 8:21am
Ok then forget about towing anything, and I'm to go with a good around town cheap car,ni like the sporty body kit kind of thing. I like the Mazda march aero and also like the Mazda Axela. Look wise the aero that's listed on here is super cute, but safety bothers me, would they both be as safe as each other!

monaro17, Jan 27, 8:24am
No. The mazda axela will be markedly better than a Nissan march- that's not to say the March is unsafe, it is just not as good as the Axela

electromic, Jan 27, 8:39am
I would choose the axela/3 over the march. I have only driven the 2009 2litre and it was a good car overall, had a firm ride and averaged 8litres/100km on a trip from hamilton to wellington and back with four adults and camping gear and two different drivers.

austingtir, Jan 27, 10:32am
Iv seen a round haybailer towed with a 1.6 laser so yeah its possible.Adviseable no but doable yes.
Thrash that axela i say.