How to get tar off car after long drive

Page 1 / 2
dondon12, Jan 16, 10:23pm
I brought a bug and tar remover, but gotta say it isn't very good, any suggestions would be great.

dondon12, Jan 16, 10:32pm
Thanks heaps for that. will check it out :-)

johnf_456, Jan 16, 10:35pm
crc or wd40, petrol

sifty, Jan 16, 11:13pm
get wife to do it.
promise her sex if she does a good job.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 16, 11:22pm
Fuelite.

attitudedesignz, Jan 16, 11:31pm
What are you on! Petrol.seriously!

curlcrown, Jan 16, 11:34pm
Works well and is cheap. Just don't smoke.

attitudedesignz, Jan 16, 11:36pm
Hmmmm.nearly 30 years in the automotive refinish industry and that is something that i would NEVER do.then again what would i know.

the_don_61, Jan 16, 11:39pm
WD40 will take it off too.

nannahall1, Jan 16, 11:47pm
eucalpytus oil will get it off also

jason18, Jan 16, 11:48pm
I wouldnt use petrol either to expensive ;) haha I have used petrol before and it wasnt good!

michelle322, Jan 17, 8:18am
baby oil,yes it does work.

rocky0169, Jan 17, 8:23am
Dont use petrol it stain thepaint. Kerosene works wonders

jmma, Jan 17, 8:23am
Yes we all know that baby oil works, but is it any good at getting tar off (o:

johnf_456, Jan 17, 8:24am
Petrol has numerous uses in cleaning provided care / common sense is taken. May not be best for paint but can be used as a "cleaning" product. Besides the op never said paint specifically.

I take it your bored and trying to stir, if you don't know petrol can clean.

michelle322, Jan 17, 8:25am
worked for me

shuballs, Jan 17, 8:36am
First time ive read prepsol can wash the paint off ! we used that for years as a wax remover befor spraying the finish coats on vehicle

bigfatmat1, Jan 17, 9:12am
the road workers use diesel it disolves it instantly

foxdonut, Jan 17, 9:48am
its not a very good substitute for WD40.

1: it doesn't do as good a job as quick
2: its friggen expensive compared to WD40

tuttyclan, Jan 17, 10:33pm
Second that for kerosene.Just make sure you polish your car when your done as kero will strip of the polish too.

attitudedesignz, Jan 17, 10:48pm
No johnny, i'm not bored BUT i do get annoyed when ill- informed people give out ill-informed advice.

johnf_456, Jan 17, 10:57pm
Firstly I am not ill informed, petrol can be used for cleaning in general and considering the op never said what on the car they are going to clean tar off with then yeah. AND other products can also damage paint but common sense and care needs to be taken. As well as re waxing.

Also please don't call me johnny just as preference.

attitudedesignz, Jan 17, 11:02pm
Defensive much haha.

kazbanz, Jan 18, 12:07am
Hey ad--In fairness -You are dealing with new /green paint whichI agree 1000%% never let petrol near it. But old/hard paint actually handlesbeing WIPED!Splashed with petrol pretty well--IF you get it off again pretty fast
I must add I wouldn't recommend it as first line of attack for any number of reasons.

big.b-lil.c, Jan 18, 12:45am
im a truck driver and have to clean tar off my trucks regularly. the most cost effective way i have found is good old kerosene. buy a cheep pressure garden sprayer and spray the kero on and rub the bigger spots off with a kero soaked rag. i recommend wearing gloves. to extend the life of the sprayer flush it with water