Help please. I took my 97 gtb legacy on a long drive drives fine then when the check engine sign comes on it loses power and run

sd8888, Jan 4, 8:45am
I took my 97 gtb legacy on a long drive drives fine then when the check engine sign comes on it loses power and runs rough any ideas on what could be the cause!

sd8888, Jan 4, 8:54am
Whats a resonable place in chch to put it under diagnostics!

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 4, 8:56am
subaru dealership. Get it fixed right the first time. Probably a common problem like AFM or something at a guess!

sd8888, Jan 4, 9:00am
They charge 10 times the price. Air flow metre you reckon!

the_don_61, Jan 4, 9:02am
Burney auto.(I may have spelt burney wrong).His shop is wasted, but hes working from home.

mugenb20b, Jan 4, 9:02am
No one can guess what's wrong with your car over the internet. You need an auto electrician or a Subaru dealer for accurate diagnosis.

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 4, 9:02am
Ive got no idea if its the AFM. All i know is its a very common problem on the subarus. Especially if an aftermarket podfilter etc is used.

sd8888, Jan 4, 9:03am
lol yes it has a podfilter I bought it like that would rather it didn't have one.

sd8888, Jan 4, 9:04am
Sweet thanks guys will get it checked out :)

kazbanz, Jan 4, 3:05pm
Dude in THIS specific case I'd strongly suggest a subaru franchise. In my experience when it comes to diagnostic work the actual COST ends up being lowerdoing so. Yea they might be say $120 an hour when the local guy is $60 an hour but they get it right and take half as long.

prt21, Jan 6, 11:56am
Have you tried checking for codes yourself!if the light came on, a code should be stored in your cars ecu. there are 2x black plugs underneath the dash -driverside. connect them, the engine light will flash a code or codes if there's more than one. 1 short flash= 10, 1 fast flash = 1. e.g. 2 short flashes and 3 fast ones = code 23. you can then google the codes. there's alot of useful info on subaru forums. like skyline_guy said good chance it will be the afm. depending on the symptoms I normally start with the afm, spark plugs or coils when my subarus are running off.