Tiptronic. is it as easy to drive as automatic

farawaytoo, Jan 30, 6:27am
I need a new car but I only like driving automatics, is a tiptronic the same to basically drive ! I know it is different technically and better than automaticbut I just like to keep things VERY simple as I don't enjoy driving.

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 6:29am
Leave it in drive, it's exactly the same.

farawaytoo, Jan 30, 6:30am
Thank-you, that was what I hoped

morrisman1, Jan 30, 6:30am
Tiptronic is an auto which has the option of letting you choose when it changes gear if you choose

vtecintegra, Jan 30, 6:31am
For all intents and purposes its exactly the same. Leave it in D most of the time, only shift down when required (i.e. steep hills) exactly the same as you would in a conventional auto

smac, Jan 30, 7:31am
Fixed that for ya'

illusion_, Jan 30, 7:35am
True.
Also true is the fact that the novelty will wear off in the first 30 minutes and you'll leave it in Drive from then on

duke250, Jan 30, 7:43pm
Yep I feel that tiptronic is almost as boring as automatic. Where is the clutch!

kazbanz, Jan 30, 8:09pm
um faraway--what car are you concidering!
The generic answer is that you NEVER need to drive the car any other way than as an Auto

kevymtnz, Jan 30, 8:29pm
a little dif than an auto as it does not change like an auto
more like it runs up a barrel so the revs pretty much stay the same
more power = move revs which will be consistant
the manual side have locked ratios for each gear like a manual
and like most CVTs, engine cannot be over reved as it will change to the next gear when max revs are reached
i find at low speed it will give u engine braking down hills but no so much at higher speeds.
id rather a auto over a cvt as think an auto would be quicker than the cvt equivalent

vtecintegra, Jan 30, 8:41pm
No one mentioned CVTs though which are a different thing entirely.

Also I think post 9 is bad advice - the extra positions on a gear selector (tiptronic or not) are there for a reason and should be used when appropriate.

tgray, Jan 30, 10:47pm
Are you serious!
'can' be used when appropriate, but 'should' be is very misleading.

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 4:06am
And people wonder why so many cars have their front wheels absolutely caked in brake dust. I'll bet it says when you should shift out of D in the vehicle owners manual.