Surf, terrano or bighorn

serendipitous6, Jan 17, 11:29pm
Am looking for a 4wd to use mostly on road but will be good to go around the farm in and for hunting, not planning any major off roading. Could you please tell me which one would be suited to my needs and which will be the cheaper option to keep on the road, spending up to $7000, surf or bighorn from years 1994 and terrano from 1996. Or are there any better 4wd!
Thanks.

mugenb20b, Jan 17, 11:37pm
$7k! Not a good price range for a 4WD, as they are very likely going to require repairs between wof or service checks. But, try and get a well serviced, 3.1 diesel Bighorn with a manual gearbox, or keep an eye out for a 2.4 or 3.0 litre diesel Surf that's had a new head recently. Another option is a manual 2.8 diesel Isuzu MU, but they are getting old now.

mugenb20b, Jan 17, 11:39pm
In that price range, I would probably go for a tidy looking Jeep Cherokee. Expensive to run, primitive driveline, but very, very capable off road.

detroitauto, Jan 18, 12:45am
are the cherokees reliable! what are the issues with them!

richard198, Jan 18, 3:47am
Cylinder head problems in 2.5 L Diesels
Coolant pipes prone to failure.
Plastic radiators fail between 80K-150K
Exhaust manifolds crack on some engines.
Engine mounts fail.
Auto trans must have been serviced 100% or die.
Cracks can appear on chassis near steering box mounting.
Wheel bearings fail early.
Rear springs sag.
Front brake rotors warp.
Water leaks.

And lots of other stuff I can't be bothered to list; it goes on and on.

Not bad off road for driving but horrible to drive on road!

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 5:15am
No, but when it comes to value for money, I'd happily risk my chances.

longnite, Jan 18, 6:22am
i payed $200.00 for my 89 terrano ok minus a motor but i had one here and over the past 6 years the only major thing to go wrong has been seals in the injector pump. Last wof i had to put new track arm bushes into it.The later ones have coil over type suspension and not really the best for going off road stay with the coil rear ans torsion front east to lift up if you need to.I would not go near a surf with a ten foot pole there pigs for committing suicide with there motors

r15, Jan 18, 6:45am
dont worry about surfs with new heads. its not the head thats the problem. it's the cooling system.a properly functioning cooling system wont overheat, and therefore wont crack the head

seems like i need to clear up this myth a few times a week- when was the last time you saw alloy crack just for the hell of it!

a.woodrow, Jan 18, 6:55am
+1 behind every cracked head is a sadly neglected cooling system.

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 7:56am
Yes, but once you have a new head, one would like to think they have a good cooling system to go with it. No garage would guarantee the job otherwise.

chris_051, Jan 18, 9:58pm
Nothing wrong with the Jeeps I've abused a few off road and never let down. In saying that they are getting on a bit now, but if you can find a decent one for 2 grand then who cares! mechanically bullet proof generally speaking.
For 7 grand I'd get an early GQ Patrol 4.2 diesel manual.