95-96 nissan terrano

lorollaz.inc, Dec 4, 9:19am
x1
looking into buying one of these trucks,iv heard they are cam chain driven.
does anyone know the price to replace the cam chain and how often they need replacing!
is there any thing in particular i should be paying close attention to when i inspect the vehicle!
hoping to get a petrol one as the cost of ruc is quite exspensive.

bitchwitattitud, Dec 4, 9:37am
Petrol version will have either VG30E (WD21 model) or VG33E (R50 model) which is belt driven. They are thirsty and can suffer issues with exhaust manifolds cracking along with manifold studs snapping when you try to remove manifolds. I wouldnt really call it a "truck" either, more like a 4WD.

mugenb20b, Dec 4, 11:21pm
Petrol ones are cambelt driven (3.3 V6), they use 14 to 17 litres of fuel per 100km.

mugenb20b, Dec 4, 11:25pm
Oh, yes. The transmissions are weak. Rear trailing arm bushes (you can tell that by driving at 100km/h, and all of a sudden and randomly the car will wallow on the road, rocking from side to side, and you'll feel like you have no control of the steering), but easily fixed. Check cambelt replacement history. And my god, they drink petrol.

lorollaz.inc, Dec 5, 3:42am
not to many good things to be said about this 4wd,would a diesel have the same problems!
how about a 99 isuzu wizard! petrol!

a.woodrow, Dec 5, 3:45am
whatever you do stay away from the diesel ones!

bwg11, Dec 5, 4:37am
The Terrano is head and shoulders better than any Isuzu or Mitsubishi, but not in the same class as a 1996 on Prado or intercooled Surf. All three of these have good reliability - you will hear heresay about failures - but most of these 15 year old vehicles will have done in excess of 150,000 kms by now, so you can expect the occasional maintenance item. RUC at 5 cents/km is a lot cheaper than petrol.

bubbles244, Dec 5, 4:48am
the only thing to be aware (nissan)of is any with a sunroof, and the bushes flogging out, i would seriously suggest looking at the diesel model as the driveline in these are damn near bullet proof with resonable maintanance as compared to the petrol v6 it will be cheaper, how ever a petrol powered suv of another ilk may be a different story.

i wouldn't advise on a 99 wizard, i watched one drop a piston yesterday. they are also getting to the point of more trouble then they are worth vs there age.

try prado/landcruiser or patrol.

27rose27, Dec 5, 5:43am
i have 96 TD27, have owned for 10yrs and havent had a spanner on it, regular oil/filters change.
I cant say enough good stuff about it, those bushes can cause a wobble or two but i have replaced all and it drives like new.

bwg11, Dec 5, 6:35am
Same. I had a 91 TD27. Did 150,000 kms and only repair was a rebuild auto at 131,000 kms. The motors are absolutely bulletproof. Not a lot of grunt, overtaking has got to be planned, but better handling than the Prado I replaced it with.

mugenb20b, Dec 5, 7:03am
'91 is completely different to a '96 model. The TD27 engine is the only item they share, minus the electronic pump.

next-to-normal, Dec 5, 7:09am
yep famous for dodgy autos,

mugenb20b, Dec 5, 7:11am
x1
There are 3 diesel variants. TD27 and QD32 engines are bullet proof, but their injector pumps and transmissions can play up from time to time, but only if not looked after. My dad now has my old Terrano ('96), done 250k, and I ensure that it gets looked after. Transmission services and low sulfur diesel fuel additives. However, due to its age, the water pump died (there are 6 different "flavours"), as did the alternator and starter motor. $500 a piece (retail).
The Terrano diesel to avoid at all costs, is the 3.0 litre (ZD30 engine). They are nothing but trouble, seems like it was an experimental engine that needed improvements.

mugenb20b, Dec 5, 7:13am
Isuzu Wizard petrol! I honestly know SFA about them.

poppajn, Dec 5, 7:40am
Could,nt agree more and don,t forget to lift the rear seats and check for the rusty floorpan.

mugenb20b, Dec 5, 7:48am
Rusty floorpan is not an issue with '96 models. Nissan's TD27 engines are one of the best. A classic example of how a diesel engine should be built.

lorollaz.inc, Dec 5, 10:00am
so should i be looking for a 2.7ltr turbo diesel terrano!
i use to own an old 94 shape,but found it was under powered and blew a water pump while i had it listed on trade me.
fixed it and resold it with out to much loss of $

olsod2, Dec 5, 9:38pm
mate got a nissan td27 had it 2 weeks motor started to rev ,turned off key never stopped motor. to cut a long story short motor selfexplded.big flames out of exhaust pipe.