1994 mitsi pajero petrol 3.5. I own a 3500cc 1994 mitsi pajero automatic and just have a couple questions about it 1 on the cent

cathair, Jan 18, 8:53am
I own a 3500cc 1994 mitsi pajero automatic and just have a couple questions about it. #1 on the center console there is a 3 stage switch labeled "A/T mode " when the switch is in the middle position there is nothing on the instrument cluster. When it's in the rear most position a light appears on the cluster saying "hold" and when the switch is in forward position it says "power" easy enough to work out right! Well I was under the assumption that "power mode" just simply held the car in gear longer to gain the extra power from each gear. So what would "hold" be doing!

#2 when i use the heated seats why does my car get a fishy smell in it afterwards!

phillip.weston, Jan 18, 12:33pm
'hold' keeps the transmission in that particular gear that it is in, useful to stop the transmission from hunting between gears on an up-hill climb or getting out of tricky situations.

desmodave, Jan 18, 8:03pm
Get rid of the whale skin car seat covers and see if it still smells

richard198, Jan 18, 8:16pm
Would power mode select lower gears!

cathair, Jan 19, 6:32am
anyone else got some ideas!

mrfxit, Jan 19, 8:55am
Stop sweating or stop peeing on the seats.
Both items will smell like that when old & reheated.
"Nilodor" works well
http://www.nilodor.com/shop/index/category/Pet_%2526_Home

matarautrader, Jan 19, 10:49am
I found with our Pajero that when I use "hold" going up a hill it would lug down to a lower revs before it changed down. It also changed up gears at lower revs than when the normal or power positions were used. Seems much like some cars that have a "snow" setting and quick change to stop high revs that might cause wheelspin.

mike77, Jan 19, 7:18pm
Well actually . matarau description is the best so far.

HOLD is designed for surface's like ice/snow.

When HOLD is showing on the dash, you car will not engage 1st gear, it will start off in second.
(Less torque applied to the wheels when taking off - so helps prevent wheel spin)
It won't hold the trans in any particular gear, and will still change up and down gearsif D is selected but not 1st (and the change point is lower in the rev range).
It will also do the same when in Low range.

Benefits, Trans in 1, locked in 1st gear. Trans in 2, hold button on, locked in 2nd gear.

Use's off road:
beach and dunes! Nah, using 1st gets ya speed up quicker so you can get up dunes.
Off road! yeah maybe, usually in 1st low anyway, only get into 2nd if it'skinda flatish in which case still would be using 1st anyway.
Ski field roads, yeah (Hold, High range), depending on conditions.

cathair, Jan 20, 5:39am
cool thanks mike. so Power mode would be good for say towing a car on a trailer up hills!

matarautrader, Jan 20, 5:52am
With our Pajero when towing the caravan I allways use "power" for going up hills, also keep overdrive off.

mike77, Jan 20, 6:17am
^^
What he said.

cathair, Jan 20, 6:23am
cheers thank you all for your input.