Wobbling Back Wheel?

mzthang1, Jan 19, 12:49am
Changed front wheel to the spare biscuit wheel after going through a huge un-noticeable pothole which dented the rim, and now my back wheel is wobbling when driving. Checked the nuts/bolts and they are on tight.

What could be the cause! Just want a fair idea before I take it to mechanic. Thanks for any input.

kiwis0, Jan 19, 1:09am
Could be a broken arm, or something like that, maybe $400 to fix.

i-n-horz, Jan 19, 1:59am
Hopefully it's noth'n like this.highly dangerous so be sure to wear protective eye rectangles ;)
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7095/dumbass03vi9.jpg

jason18, Jan 19, 6:04am
protective eye rectangles hahaha gold.

phillip.weston, Jan 19, 6:18am
the pot hole could have buckled the rear rim or even the wheel bearing/hub carrier itself.

mrfxit, Jan 19, 8:57am
Yea I remember that 1 (run over a mattress )

pge, Jan 19, 9:03pm
Take the car to your mechanic NOW.

You may have ruptured a belt in the rear tyre, when it hit the pothole.

If so, it is very dangerous, and MUST be replaced immediately.

Good luck.

ralphdog1, Jan 19, 9:21pm
With the info given how do you come up with a figure of $400!

richardmayes, Jan 19, 11:09pm
Tyre, chassis, suspension or axle damage due to driving your car through a huge, un-noticable pothole, most likely.

marte, Jan 20, 6:25am
Bent axle!

marte, Jan 20, 6:26am
Thats soooo funny, wish I was there.

mzthang1, Jan 20, 9:21am
Ok so I got changed the back wheel with the wobble, and nowthe back wheel wobble is gone.

I looked at the wheel from the back that was removed and everything looked good to the eye, so I put it on the front where the biscuit wheel was, but now thats wobbling. So I think I can now say its the tyre/wheel itself. Could it be the tube inside the tyre! Cause the rim looked fine and so did the tyre.

bitsy_boffin, Jan 20, 12:07pm
Hard to grok exactly what you did, but it sounds a bit like the wheel is simply unbalanced.

Wheels are balanced when a new tyre is put on by having small lead weights attached to the rim to make the wheel an equal weight around it's circumference, if you lose one of those weights the wheel "wobbles" because one part is heaver than the others.

Just like if you slice the end off one blade of a fan for example.

maykred, Dec 19, 6:34am
BUMP

How much does it cost to fix a buckled wheel rim, or buy a new rim!

mrfxit, Dec 19, 6:37am
Steel rim = don't bother, just replace

maykred, Dec 19, 6:38am
oh hmm i think my rims are alloys! but theyre not flash ones

kingfisher21, Dec 19, 7:08am
It will 100% be the wrong spacesaver, check the centre bore and I'll bet it's to small to properly fit over the hub.

edangus, Dec 19, 7:51am
Its bent. Get it fixed. Alloy rims are repairable in most cases.

purple666, Dec 19, 8:09am
Now that's a helluva trick.

fordcrzy, Dec 20, 8:09am
what car! are they factory wheels!