Mazda BMFR . gear box and diff pricing etc

nicolenhollie, Jan 19, 10:55am
Does anybody no how much it would cost for a diff replaced! If diff is stuffed does that mean gear box is on its way out! How much horse can it bring out with a standard gear box!

jmma, Jan 19, 11:02am
depends how many hh you want the horse(o:

nicolenhollie, Jan 19, 11:13am
hh! you meaning horse power!

jmma, Jan 19, 11:15am
No you asked "how much horse .

I mean hands high = hh (o:

morrisman1, Jan 19, 11:17am
stock gearbox is probably an F series in that, and they are good for around 200 horses apparently but abuse will kill them sooner. The G series box could be adapted to work and that is a lot stronger but there would be a fair bit involved in the conversion: axles, mounts, gear linkage, flywheel, clutch.

c.c.d, Jan 19, 11:20am
Can not run much through it.They break even when stock.BFMR is a 4wd they have a diff in the G/Box and a transfer diff.GTRs have a bit more oil in the transfer.Have fixed quite a few over the year.Hard to get parts these days now.

morrisman1, Jan 19, 11:23am
I saw a picture of a G series box that had steel reinforcing inside it to prevent flex and the subsequent failure of stuff. I dont know how effective it is though. The BMFR is the 1.6 turbo isnt it!

clangie, Jan 19, 5:09pm
had an old 86 turbo bmfr hatch about 8 years ago. the diffock got jammed on and while lapping round town,took a corner slowly and blew the diff to bits. $1400 later and removal of said difflocking pin,i boosted out of a roundabout and snapped the front left axle. as difflock was removed it wouldnt drive so paid another $800 for axles etc and sold the car loosing about $3000 in total. fun wee car tho

bdogg1, Jan 20, 6:02pm
A guy in the mazda club had his BFMR gearbox reconditioned for around $1000. He did some shopping around and quotes were up to $2500. I had a BFMR for 4 years and never had a problem with the gearbox. Just know it's no Evo or WRX and keep within reliable HP ratings for the vehicle and you'll have no probs. 140-150kw atw is a good limit. Considering they're approx 105kw standard thats a decent power increase over standard.

Join the club http://www.amazd.co.nz/forum/index.php

vtecnet, Jan 21, 11:00pm
I knew a few people with these cars back in the day, very hard to find the parts now, after all, these cars are now 24 years old or so.
Some of my friends with them described the gearbox being made out of glass, as in it would suddenly just shatter, costing loads to fix.
If it was me i'd look at getting running gear from the GTR model if you are set on having the old beast.