Mazda Proceed 4x4?

danni_2254, Jan 19, 10:46am
Are they any good! How are they for offroad capability!
Thanks

danni_2254, Jan 19, 10:48am
They seem to have a problem with head gaskets blowing, could anyone reccomend a good petrol 4x4!

franc123, Jan 19, 6:35pm
Yep, 1.6 or 2.0 4 cyl (NOT V6) Suzuki Vitara/Escudo.They are one of the cheapest to operate petrol offroaders with decent capability you can get.The main problem with those Marvies is that they were a modified ute with a large thirsty fairly gutless engine that was a modified old Mitsubishi design, most lasted OK but getting good replacement ones or parts for them isn't that easy anymore.Later model diesel versions were better but even these are gettting old and grumpy now, including the even crucial cooling system.Good luck with whatever you get.

r15, Jan 19, 7:09pm
Apart from the suzuki being half the size.

ralphdog1, Jan 19, 7:15pm
What is your budget!

franc123, Jan 19, 11:23pm
A 5 door one certainly isn't, it will be smaller but not by a huge amount.Besides the OP didn't state what size vehicle they needed anyway.

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 11:24pm
Apart from Suzukis, you could also have a look at late model Nissan Patrols, 100 and 200 series Toyota Landcruisers.

40wav, Jan 20, 7:56am
Yep, 1.6 or 2.0 4 cyl (NOT V6) Suzuki Vitara/Escudo.

Would not recommend. Had a 2.0 L one and it revved at 4 grand in 5th to do 100km/h on the open road. Far too high in my opinion. Quite a good little off roader though so it would depend on what you want to do mostof. I had a Proceed too and from memory that chewed through the fuel for a 2.6 L but was OK for a run about for a while. Quite a capable off roader but hungry as a commuter.

detroitauto, Jan 20, 8:11am
Marvie/Proceeds are total rubbish, thirsty unreliable pigs

richard198, Jan 20, 8:14am
The only two people I know who bought Mazda Proceeds were both Australian.

40wav, Jan 20, 8:15am
I agree that they are thirsty, and given a choice I would not have another.