Hey Jazz.Passats

smac, Mar 11, 8:45am
Or anyone else for that matter.

When did these FSI 2.0l engines get into the Passats! And that's a completely different engine to the 2000ish 2.0, right!Also when did the DSG boxes show up! Oh and how did they compare to the 2.3 V5's!

Just been looking through a few of these and trying to sort the dogs from the potentially 'ok' ;)

thejazzpianoma, Mar 11, 9:38am
The model change in 2005 gets the new goodies. Big difference in economy and how much power you get from the size of engine. Even the little 1.4 Passat has quite acceptable performance!

Unfortunately though there is a massive leap in pricing so its unlikely a buyer would consider both as they are two very distinctive price ranges.

The Golf and Touran can be had from around 12K though and are well worth considering if you can squeeze into the smaller size and are on a lower budget.

The only really good 2.0 engine in the older generation is the 16V unit used in the likes of the MK3 Golf GTI. The standard 2.0 engine was gutless and thirsty in my opinion and to be avoided.

Not sure if there were any improvements to the 2.0 that appeared in some Passats around 2002 as I have not had one but its not an FSI unit so its likely still not great. VAG central could tell you more about that motor if you were curious.

smac, Mar 11, 8:38pm
Thanks for that. SO in the pre-2006 the better engine would be the V5 or the 2.8 V6!

thejazzpianoma, Jul 10, 9:48am
The 1.8T, V5 and V6 engines are all outstanding. It just depends what you want in an engine.

The 1.8T is economical but still has plenty of lift (but it MUST be a turbo one, few non-turbos in the older shape). Like any turbo you want to buy one where the car has had its oil changed when it should etc.

The V5 is an adequate performer (but no rocket ship) but it has the timing chain instead of belts and is known for reliability and low maintenance.

The V6 engines are fantastic, good performance andgood on gas for their size (but no 1.8t around town), also great if you want to do the major service at home. The bumper pulls off and gives you full easy access to cambelts, waterpump, tensioners etc. Its a slow process but quite easy and no skinned knuckles or trying to guess whats happening where you can't see.

BTW, the cambelt change on the 1.8t is the same deal as well.

Best plan is probably to drive them and see what suits you. Obviously if the cambelt is due the V6 is a bit dearer to do than the 1.8T so allow for that. In general I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them, but some may suit you needs better.

Happy shopping! Come back and hit me up anytime with questions.

Oh one last thing. If by some chance you come accross a cambelt driven one 1.8t or V6 that hasn't had a waterpump change since new. Get it changed straight away as the factory pumps have a plastic impeller and they can fly apart and jam/snap the cambelts. This was about the only issue with those engines and the vast majority have been changed to steel impeller pumps by now. Not sure what year they went to factory steel impellers but it might not affect later ones.