You there Jazz?

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 8:50am
The asking price is very accurate.

supernova2, Jan 30, 8:55am
HaHa!I do wonder what people expect with $0 ono.Maybe vender offering to pay to have it taken away!

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 9:00am
Translation. The cost to get this car on the road is more than it's end value, and that's without painting it too!

Love the bit that says it just needs cambelt and valves. LOL

supernova2, Jan 30, 9:03am
No labour costs involved so if it was possible to find a donk somewhere might make a cheep workshop hack thats just a bit different to the average scruffy jappa

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 9:07am
That add is so full of lies.

The clear coat is just worn down a bit.

This car has always been serviced.

Why even concider it! It's a worn out pile of crap the buyer is trying to tuck some poor unsuspecting person into.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 9:11am
Hi supernova, not really been on here mutch so lucky to catch you.
Excellent engine in those, its the 1.6 Donk thats used in the likes of the Multipla, good on gas and plenty of go. Only catch is they lack torque at very low revs, but get on stride fairly quick.

A tidy one is worth at least $2500 with a really top example getting closer to 5K.

Its a 16 Valve unit and you DO need to use the proper tools for setting the timing (despite what you might read) if you don't you will lose some power/economy unless you have the luck of a lotto winner.

Italian Auto Centre or Dino Enterprises may be able to provide you with a complete secondhand head, we had plenty of those engines in various cars in NZ. Otherwise you could just order new valves etc and replace as appropriate.

Nice enough machine to work on, Italian Auto Centre may lend you a timing tool set if you buy your timing belt etc from them. I may also know someone who can hire you a tool kit. There is a trick to setting the tensioner that you won't find in the manual that is essential for the new tensioners or it may end in tears with a broken tool. (which is always embarrassing and painful)

Good practical car at the end of it all, quite bland inside for a Fiat and it does have the "sticky" dash plastics but very practical and they handle and ride nicely. I really like the drop down rear bumper with flat loading etc.

I have the 2.0 5 Cylinder version myself.

Anything else you want to know just ask. In terms of parts easy to get just price up with Italian's or Dino's. If its a bit pricey you could look at importing direct yourself, I can provide some leads there if need.

Definitely a worthy project if you can get it cheap enough.

mugenb20b, Jan 30, 9:12am
+1 I looked into buying this car, and after pricing everything up, it's just cheaper to buy another road going car. The Fiat in question is only worth the scrap value at best.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 9:15am
What did your total price on parts come to if you don't mind sharing!

I agree it may not be worth while, my issue is with the paint which will be stuffed and is probably the straw that breaks the camels back for me. My gut feeling is aside from the paint, if there were nil transport costs it would need to be a $700 car to be worth while to me.

Its been on there a while, I remember first seeing it some time ago and I think they were optimistic with what they wanted when it initially had a price.

Good car though if you can get one that is financially viable. Just don't rush in to the 2.0 version without talking to me or understanding whats involved with a timing belt.

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 9:20am
Jezzzzzzzzzussss jazz, it's a pile of old rubbish which is at the end of it's life. Not worth spending a penny on. Scrap value only.

supernova2, Jan 30, 9:23am
Hey thanks guys - its so good to get some "sensible" info rather than just "dont touch it cause it aint Jap" comments.It a bit like the how longs the string trying to guestimate these sorts of repairs.Im sorta thinking just chuck the motor and replace.If you factor in the time of pulling it down, checking, locating bits and pieces etc etc I find it often easier just to start again.In my case the labours "free" but even so its time that could be spent otherwise.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 9:25am
May well be the case. but its always nice to answer the OP's question and give them enough information to draw their own conclusion. If it were not for the paint and was cheap enough its a viable project. Aside from some of the trim they are capable of huge milage and a very long life if maintained. Those engines are bomb proof (so long as you change the belts) and the Galv bodies hang together indefinitely.

Not uncommon to not top those engines up with oil between changes even with 300'000km on the clock.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 9:28am
Don't quote me on this. but I have a funny feeling you may find it easier/cheaper to get a head as opposed to an entire engine. Reason being I think there were a few similar flavors of that engine but suspect they all use the same head. Could be completely wrong on that of course.

I would quickly pull the head to start with and see what you were looking at replacing if it were me. Your idea is not a silly option though by any means.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 30, 9:32am
Also. sounds like you might be due for some compulsory laps in the Multipla AND the Marea. Will be round when I get some free time. photo packs of the event will be available free of charge to motoring regulars.

howie69, Jan 30, 8:10pm
Agreed, send it to the crusher to be converted to a Great Wall

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 8:43pm
Over my dead body. Actually no, never! I must put in my will that any funeral director driving such rubish shall not get my business.

carstauranga001, Jan 30, 8:43pm
Now you're talking, I've heard good things about those Great Wall utes actually.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 2:16am
Usually after a statement like that I find and example of the said vehicle on your lot after a week or two. time will tell.
Got to go. off to pick up a Punto with someone who has been converted/enlightened.