RAV4 '94 - question

hannah-nl, Mar 12, 4:34am
Over the last few days, the starter motor didn't want to start, it would only make a nasty metallic sound, and not start. Then if I pushed the car back a bit it would start (the pin would fall right!) After a few times with that I thought better get it in to the garage. Had a call with them and it seems there was more wrong!
When they fixed the starter motor the car still made a funny noise, and they looked into that and found out the alternator (perhaps the regulator!) was not working right, it was overcharging from 14 to 17 volts and that fried the battery, which was 'only' 7 years old anyway. So now instead of one thing there's three things that need fixing for at least about 250-300 dollars.
Does this sound right! It's not as much the dollars, but suddenly the other things being wrong I wonder about!

mugenb20b, Mar 12, 7:05am
What pin!

mugenb20b, Mar 12, 7:08am
If the battery lasted 7 years, it did well. Starter and alternator problems are not related, but these faults do need rectifying.

franc123, Mar 12, 7:36am
I'd say the battery died first, the starter probably wasn't faulty at all.The "death rattle" you heard was the starter solenoid clicking in and out rapidly due to low battery voltage.7 years for a battery is well past its use by date.The alternator could well have been overcharging due to the fact the battery was stuffed.Get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it might be a good start, if you'll excuse the expression.

jasongroves, Mar 12, 7:52am
Pinion perhaps! Lol.cant see it falling though!

mugenb20b, Mar 12, 8:09am
That's what I was thinking.

hannah-nl, Mar 12, 10:19am
Sorry I'm from Holland so the technical terms are a bit hard at times, they tend to be very different in English ;)
The car is at a garage, I hope by God they know what they are doing, lol
Will see what story they come up with in the end, but you saying it was maybe the battery first and then the rest makes sense to me. Thanks!

autocars1, Jul 14, 4:53pm
The clicking nosie is a flat battery. Ok if your altnerator isn't charging replace the regulator, they are on the outside at the back adn 2 screws,.certainly not $250 .that's a rip off.Got to BNT and get one theya re about $20. get someone to pop it on.anyone can do it. And for the battery, a new one will set you back $65+-.and shop around they can vary from palce to place. BNT is good.