Directional Tyres - Been Told Two Different Things

paulap, Mar 14, 8:24pm
2 tyre dealers say that people are moving away from them. One other said they are the only tyre suitable for my Commodore with the size tyres I need. 235/40/18.

What tyres are softer and wear quicker than others! I drive my car probably a little hard. Spend the weekends on narrowcountry roads with lots of corners.

I like Potenzas but have been told they are softer and will wear quicker. I have GT Radials on it now and they are directional and very noisy.

twink19, Mar 14, 8:50pm
all low profile tyre of that size will wear fast,

paulap, Mar 14, 8:59pm
Potenzas I went through quicker than the GT Radials.

smac, Mar 14, 9:06pm
You've answered your own question.

Unless they have evidence of training other than in sales, I wouldn't be too quick to take tyre advice from a dealer.

paulap, Mar 14, 9:10pm
I am wanting to know how, when I am going tyre shopping, do I figure out what is a softer tyre! So many out there to choose from.

paulap, Mar 14, 9:13pm
One nimrod tried to sell me Triangles saying they were what I already have on there. Guess he can't read what is written on my tyres never mind know what is a good tyre.

321mat, Mar 15, 12:29am
The tyre companies are slowly moving away from directionals, mainly because they have developed asymetrical tryes that are just as - and in many cases better, than directionals.

An EXCELLENT directional tyre is the Dunlop Sportmaxx SP.
This tyre is reasonably quiet, and has tremendous grip.

I have used many tyres - from many brands - in the past 25 years - I travel more than 60km a year, and the Dunlop Direzza is good, but the Sportmaxx is head and shoulders above it.I drive hard, and got between 40-45 km on Direzzas (3 sets), but got more than 50 km on Sportmaxx (2 sets).

I'm actually looking forward to trying the Sportmaxx symetrical tyre when these ones wear out.

Oh, and by the way - if you have a death wish, put some Firestones on your car. these are THE WORST tyres in the history of the world.
Just bloody awful. (I could tell you stories that would make you cry.)

paulap, Mar 15, 1:23am
Have had Hankook HRII recomended to me. But have never had them on any of my cars before.

superdave0_13, Mar 15, 3:26am
Go on then, most of the regulars on the motoring board just love a good tearjerker!

vr4_legnum, Mar 15, 4:10am
I would recomend Falken 912 what is awesome driving tyre but is asymetrical tyre and not last as long as same tyres. But with having high performance tyres, your not going to get huge kms out of them. Im lucky to get 20,000kms out of set on my car.

mr40cal, Mar 15, 4:54am
firestone tyres . . . . . won't they all be gone soon :) :) :)

chunkybob, Mar 15, 5:10am
Ive had achilles atr's on my evo for 3 years. only done bout 40000 on them including numerous drag meets and track days and they have maybe 50% tread on them. however they are very hard and dont wear. decent grip and not too noisy

clark20, Mar 15, 6:51am
For my Commodore I will choose between Bridgestone RE001 and Pirelli, check them out, they are not as expensive as you think.

edangus, Mar 15, 6:53am
I prefer asymetricals to directionals, been using them for years.

Directionals suck with the combination of our shitty roads.

edangus, Mar 15, 7:13am
I've had very good mileage out of Yokos and Dunlops. Not tried Bridgey Asymetricals as of yet. Currently trialing Falkens

paulap, Mar 15, 7:22am
Cheers thanks for that

sven007, Mar 15, 9:26am
I agree with the T1R's. Had them on my STi but then I went for Falken FK452's as Toyo were on backorder and shit. I couldnt be happier with the Falkens

icemans1, Mar 15, 2:17pm
good info

paulap, Jul 23, 2:41pm
thanks for the info