Need help replacing windscreen

rosiemeg, Jan 24, 5:49am
have just taken winscreen out of 93 hilux, i left all factory adhesive stuff on truck, where to from here to put new one in!Can i just rtv the new one on over top of adhesive left in truck!
Or any recommendations on a good sealant!

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 5:52am
Jesus! You're keen. I could be wrong, but I think you have to remove all the old shit, and then use a new windscreen sealant. Not sure what type though, sorry.

rosiemeg, Jan 24, 5:58am
haha cheers mate was piss easy to get out but puttn in is another storey,auto glass place wanted to charge 200 to put in!,must be a easier way!

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 6:00am
I'm no expert on windscreens, but I'm sure someone here will know the answer.

a18a, Jan 24, 6:00am
i just used some of that urethane stuff in a tube from bunnings lol

rosiemeg, Jan 24, 6:02am
yer thats 1 idea last one i did was in a hq and just used rtv silacone,did the job tho

dent, Jan 24, 6:14am
I think you will find theres a reason its stuck in with special adhesive. The adhesive they use has insane strength. Just rember that windscreen helps hold the passinger cabin in shape in a roll over. If the proper glue isnt used that windscreen could just pop out and then you have lost all your frame strength.

poppajn, Jan 24, 6:19am
Gets put in with some heat thing plugged on the windscreen to heat the rubber sealant and provide the seal

gammelvind, Jan 24, 6:36am
You need to clean all of the old sealer off, prime all scratchs in the paint with etch primer or you will get some nasty rust in the future. Clean the surface well with meths or wax and grease remover. Clean the glass edges the same. Put a good even bead of Sikatack Drive in a contiuous line around the screen frame, place screen on and press in place. Hold the screen in place with tape so it doesnt sag for a couple of hours. Put trims back on and away you go.

marcos1, Jan 24, 6:39am
Not since the mid '80s.

poppajn, Jan 24, 8:08am
Well, I,m liveing in a time warp, seen a windscreen fitter do it before xmas

andy61, Jan 24, 8:42am
Is it bonded in(urethane not RTV) or does it have a rubber seal!