Windscreen removal

maximus56, Mar 9, 6:04am
I have a 1970 Holden Premier and i want to remove both windscreens for rust repair. can anyone give me any tips please.They have chrome surrounds

intrade, Mar 9, 6:06am
i supose you mean front with rubber!
You remove the chrome insert carfully with a screwdriver and fingers . then you can push the rubber lip from inside out slowely top first. to get screen out. to fitem you need a string to pull the rubber back innn.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 9, 6:16am
Firstly. congratulations on the correct use of the term windscreen! (Not window screen as the Hoi Polloi seem to refer to it as)

Just an extra tip for you, if you are reusing the rubber and not using sealant give the rubber a good liberal dose with amourall or similar before putting it back in. It makes it a lot easier, it can also aid removal if its tight but be wary that paint wont stick to amrourall so be careful if getting it where you are going to repair.

If putting amrourall on for removal tuck your finger under the rubber on the inside and get it in there, especially at the courners.

Also, with regard to the cord for putting it back in, use something with a bit of diameter, I use old computer network cable because thats what I have around, I find that diameter to be good.

Good luck!

quickstitch, Mar 9, 6:49am
get a blunt screwdriver and run it around the screen rubber just to break the seal. if the window rubber has a filler strip, remove it. then get inside car, lie on back between seat (can be quite tight) and place feet on screen, about 1 metre apart, about three quarters of the way up the screen then excert pressuse. i.e push. it will just pop out. I've never broken one yet.

quickstitch, Mar 9, 6:51am
i use a 3-5 mm nylon braid to put windsreen back in. clean rubber up first,but you may want a pro to put it back in, so they can seal it up, messy job.

robertsons-nes, Mar 9, 6:54am
and for those old screens the best sealant is from WURTH dab on dab off windscreen sealant actually picks its self off unlike the other ones which just go everywhere and cant be cleaned up

maximus56, Mar 15, 5:36am
Thanks i will give it a go

demons, Mar 15, 6:53am
arnt they glued in !. if they havent got safety marks on them a pro wont put it in.

joanie32, Mar 15, 7:01am
thermokit. Remove screen moldings and park out in the sun.They usuallypop out alright on a hot day. If not saw it out with piano wire. Refit using urethane

lookoutas, Mar 15, 7:45am
Cut my teeth repairing these, and can't remember how the hell they were fitted. Recall is leaning towards rubber - but not positively sure about that.
I know Monaro's had rounded top corners, while the rest were squared off. Although, I did work on an Auzzie '4 on the floor' import sedan with round corners.
Before you try pushing the window out by foot, first check whether the glass is toughened or laminated. If its toughened you can be reasonably brutal, but laminated requires much more care, and a novice will most certainly break it.
Rear windows are never laminated. But are usually a tad thinner than a front windscreen, hence require brutality of 70%

Can anyone confirm whether Thermo Kit or rubber!

andrew241, Mar 15, 7:56am
I thought they were thermo fitted (but may be wrong) if they are use panio wire, We wernt that gentle and manged to brake both screens our motto now is take it to the shop.

lookoutas, Jul 27, 7:05pm
Just had a look at some for sale on here and it looks like a rubber.
Unless they were tinted, most of those had toughened glass, so they push out quite easily. Just check the small print somewhere on the screen.