2000 Subaru Legacy 250t useing water

wizzbikz, Jan 27, 4:23am
starting to use water, about every 2 to 300ks have to fill the bottle and raditor up can always tell because temp gauge run up to Red on short run. .Is it an easy fix, daughter loves her car

vtecintegra, Jan 27, 4:29am
Those models are known for failed head gaskets - not exactly an easy fix.

It'd be a good idea to stop driving it before more severe damage is done.

kcf, Jan 27, 4:31am
also well known for cracked plastic radiator tanks.Common issue.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 4:33am
simple question--is there a pool of green water under the car when parking after a drive! --assuming you are putting glycol in the rad

wizzbikz, Jan 27, 5:57am
NO water under car, thats the 1st thing I looked for.

wizzbikz, Jan 27, 6:01am
NO water leaking at all. she parks in my side of the garage and we have carpet on the floor. ( I have to park outside) this is her surf wagon with all the boards on board so its got to be looked up most nights

terry6000, Jan 27, 7:08am
mabe water is leaking while she is driving!.

loonee-dial-111, Jan 27, 7:14am
YES put chemiweld in it or equivalent. I used the one with the copper particles in it from supercheap which worked very well on my 1995 250t. Although I only used it for about 10,000km as I repaired it properly after that.
And tell her to save up ~$2000-$2500 to get it fixed in the mean time.

frank1, Jan 27, 8:14am
Subaru''s are a classic for this even tho head gasket may be leaking thru exhaust.
Make sure u take bleed screw out of top of radiator when filling and run the engine with front of car raised up to get rid of airlocks.
If head gasket is leaking,suggest u try Sealwell as a short term solution--it works well.
I had similar prob with my 96 250t,but was leaking on floor,so replaced thermostat,bled cooling system and no further probs.

curlcrown, Jan 28, 12:29am
Funny how a blown head gasket is the most commen diognosis on this board. The fact it there are so many other thing it could be. Fisrt thing I'd check is the radiator cap. No more than $20 to replace. It could be any number of other things as well, most of which cost very little to fix.

drew2009, Jan 28, 12:43am
250ts are shocking for leaking head gaskets.
So first thing i would do is drain all the oil and make sure there isnt a large pool of water in the bottom of the sump, Then flush and replace the oil.
If it has any water in the oil you drained then it will have a blown head gasket, do not drive it again until it is repaired, or you will wreck your engine eventually.
Oil with water in it usually turns a milky white colour.

Also check the radiator expansion tank and see if there is any oil floating on top, If it has oil floating on top of the coolant then this also points toward the head gasket leaking. Another sign is water/steam coming out the exhaust pipe.

If the coolant/oil seems fine, then i recommend getting the cooling system pressure tested or checked over with a uv light to find the leak.

wizzbikz, Jan 28, 4:07am
Thanks drew2009 thats great info will do what you have said. Dont want to loose motor

wizzbikz, Jan 28, 4:08am
Have done that as well thanks.

drew2009, Jan 28, 8:58pm
No problem. Come back and let me know what you find.

wizzbikz, Jan 30, 8:04am
left the car running for about 30 min and found water dripping from tail pipe. Put sealwell into motor so hope this works. No sign of water in oil,Cap ok no leaks from raditor or hoses. And a big THANKS from you guys for all the advise

electro2000, Jan 30, 8:41am
you wont see water in oil or vice versa with ej25-they fail on the lower side between the firing ring and water jacketso basically all you get is compression gas in the coolant. i did post a picture of a shot gasket on here some time ago.
If the car is in good nick well worth the rebuild chuck away the composite gasket and put the steel upgrade in you will never have any more issues, have the heads checked and resurfaced as well as new head bolts she will be good as new.

flack88, Jan 30, 8:04pm
Its corroded because the coolants never been changed.Keeps workshops busy .