Hiring mechanics: what do you look for?

74caro, Jan 25, 9:25pm
I'm in the market for a new mechanic, I havent had a great run lately with workers. What do other guys in the trade look for when interviewing! I need someone who is fairly dynamic and outgoing, with a good work ethic too. Seems to be hard to find someone who has both!

gadgit3, Jan 25, 9:28pm
Last employer is a good start. And the first question to him/her would be reason for employment termination

gusthe1, Jan 25, 9:33pm
Dirty fingernails are a good sign

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 25, 9:34pm
Dirty overalls.

kazbanz, Jan 25, 9:34pm
1) recent employment history
2)personal committments.-Ie look for a family man for stability

caro--don't know you from a bar of soap but it might pay to check if theres an internal issue within the company.
IM not for a second saying there is but just in case

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 25, 9:36pm
But seriously, the same thing you look for in any potential wage or salary worker: how much they need the job. That way they're more compliant.

mber2, Jan 26, 4:16am
ask some questions about how to do certain car repairs or describe a fault and ask him what it is

granada, Jan 26, 4:18am
Ask him his preference on brands of oils and filters and why.

paul271, Jan 26, 4:18am
Kaz, dont think there is, one guy has been with me for 7 years and is really happy, and another guy has been here for 11. Its just the 2IC guys that I keep hiring arent that great. The difficulty is finding a guy who is everything, good with customers, good mechanic, able to do the computer work, and be able to juggle it all at the same time. I can find guys who are good at one or two of those, just not all together!

msigg, Jan 26, 4:49am
If you pay enough you willfind him or her.

kecal, Jan 26, 5:41am
why dontyoupromote from your employees and get another mechanic. !

guest, Mar 25, 1:49am
HJL