White cars rust more than other colours?

bjdw, Mar 18, 5:21am
Read a comment in another thread that I thought says white cars rust more than other colours.Why does white paint make cars rust faster!

jason18, Mar 18, 5:23am
x1
Cos white reflecs the sun therefore not heating up as much to dry water or condensation. So i was told

franc123, Mar 18, 5:24am
because when they get wet they take longer to dry out, white stays cooler and doesn't attract heat like darker colours do, hence water takes much longer to evaporate out of body crevices.

gunhand, Mar 18, 5:25am
Just shows up quicker thats about all.

cuda.340, Mar 18, 5:31am
x1
jason & franc are correct. gun don't know what he's talking about.

gunhand, Mar 18, 5:46am
Well if you look at the posting times you will see there all wthin 2 mins which means I hadnt actually seen there posts before I commented. I never actaully said there wasnt logic behind what they said either or made any comment about it at all.
Maybe I hadnt thought of that!But I had. If water is pooling and getting into areas it shouldnt its more about poor car design or lack of cleaning drain areas etc.
Ive Seen brand new AUs with rust signs in the boot hinge area where water pooled and leaves and shit collected. You could see it easier on a white car than a dark car unless you really looked hard.
Another thought could beif a dark car has water pooling , say in the wheel well,when it heats up the water evapourates and unless the boots open it causes more moisture on the boot that then drips back into the boot there for not drying out as quick as it should.
Ive seen and repaired more rusty cars than I care to remember.

marcos1, Mar 18, 7:10am
I've been in the PB game since forever ,and this has always been a well known fact. White cars will show more signs of corrosion earlier and with more frequency than darker coloured vehicles.

msigg, Mar 18, 7:47am
Because the seams don't dry out as fast as a dark coloured car.

sgrants, Mar 18, 7:52am
yep fix up an old shitter paint it white hides al the bog ripples the best! darker colours attract the solar heatso stay dry and don't rust so bad!

i-n-horz, Mar 18, 9:29am
Just like humans aye.ol'whitey turns pink before ol'darky.

jmma, Mar 18, 9:42am
If white reflects heat, why do you turn pink!

gusthe1, Mar 18, 9:23pm
And why are people from hot countries genrally dark in colour

i-n-horz, Mar 18, 9:31pm
x1
"The underlying cause of this vascular reaction is direct and indirect damage to specific cellular targets from photochemical reactions and the generation of reactive oxygen species [32]. Damage to DNA, and the activation of several inflammatory pathways, particularly involving prostaglandins [27, 33-38], are thought to trigger this reaction, ultimately leading to vasodilation and edema. Biologic response modifiers released by both keratinocytes and lymphocytes also play a role.I didn't go to school just to eat lunch you know.there were girls there too.

intrade, Mar 18, 9:34pm
that is a different reason. Black has more pigments stopping uv radiation going thru then white. also why do you think all airoplain are white. white is a lighter colour then black, aperantely it makes out a few tons from black to white on a big aircraft.

i-n-horz, Mar 18, 10:05pm
The evolution of the different skin colours is thought to have occurred as follows: the haired ancestor of humans, like modern great apes, had light skin under their hair. Once the hair was lost, they evolved dark skin, needed to prevent low folate levels since they lived in sun-rich Africa. (The skin cancer connection is probably of secondary importance, since skin cancer usually kills only after the reproductive age and therefore doesn't exert much evolutionary pressure.) When humans migrated to sun-poorer regions in the north, low vitamin D3 levels became a problem and light skin colour evolved.some fella in the pub told me that.over in Dunedin.Clem I think his name was.

doublek, Mar 18, 10:06pm
Sorry - I call bulls**t on that one. White paint is cheaper and keeps the plane cooler. That is why.

intrade, Mar 18, 10:52pm
i seen this claim on a tv programm i wotched nothing more . if you google there are loads of sites talking about these facts.
one said its due to black needing more paint to cover then white etc meaning there is more black paint on a aircraft to cover meaning there is also extra kg due to this fact.

elect70, Mar 19, 1:00am
Definately rust fast . My 1 & only new carnissan BluebirdsW 1985whitestarted to show rust from the day i bought it . Gutters first thenpanel edges, , after 2 years had to get it cut out . Mr nissan not interested politely told to F off

vtecintegra, Mar 19, 1:02am
AirNZ has a black painted airliner at the moment (an A320 I think)

guest, Jun 12, 4:54am
my 93 has NO rust on top or under and is white