$100,000 BMW & $35,000 BMW look exactly the same

tgray, Mar 15, 7:59am
One of the many reasons why I dislike these cars, is because they have the laziest stylists of any car manufacturer.
I often have the misfortune of having to walk past the dealership in Takapuna and glance at the cars and sticker prices. One might be three times the price and I can't tell the difference. They further economize by only having onyl 2 colours - black and silver.
They also have a major image problem - Jeremy Clarkson put it well when he said "When was the last time you smiled at a BMW driver!"

pauloc, Mar 15, 9:01am
Not true the $25,000 ones also look the same as the $100,000 ones

ginga4lyfe, Mar 15, 9:22am
Oh crap. I just realized. since my cousin started driving and owning a Bimmer, I too havnt smiled at him since!

cantab1971, Mar 15, 9:30pm
i like 'em. i reckon they look the same because they got the design right in the first place. an older beamer still looks good.How many fronts has the crappy ford falcon had in 20 years.! not sure any of them were an improvement. (just an example.cos i dont like falcons, replace it with commodore if you like.same point). I like euros :)Volvo is the same as Beamer.they dont' change em much cos they don't need to. (not saying they're pretty.just that they got the design right in first place.they look good enuff)

saxman99, Mar 15, 10:59pm
Yeah I get 'that' look all the time when driving around in one of the bimmers.

You know, the "Oh my god that's the guy who was busted for selling orphaned children as slaves to fund drug habits for terrorists" look.

Which makes me wonder.how did they find out!

richardmayes, Mar 16, 12:04am
The more important difference between a $35,000 BMW and a $100,000 BMW is how fast it goes!

I think the 'controversial' styling of the 5 series and the little roadster is great, really lifts the look of them from being just another car on the road to something quite spectacular, the sort of thing you would expect to walk across the carpark to if you've just spent $100,000 on a car.

Your stereotype of BMW owners is entirely accurate though!

vtecintegra, Mar 16, 12:06am
That was the old 5 series, the new one is quite conservative.

elect70, Mar 16, 2:42am
The reason car makers change the looks of same model everyb 3 years was purely snob value -dont want to be seen driving an old model .BMW dont need to it, always a ready market for well engineered cars .

mantagsi, Mar 16, 8:15am
haha good old pick a part - I hope I am not a moron, but i have spent many times there fishing out parts for jappas. I definately see what people are getting at with BMWs, I myself have a liking for the overall design and 'bmw look', perhaps people who drive a $100,000 car that looks like a $35,000 car appreciate that only they and a few others can spot and understand the difference! Not really sure! PS. I drive a Generic Japanese Sedan

budgel, Mar 17, 8:46pm
What were you doing at pick a part!

kwaka5, Mar 17, 10:19pm
hopefully finding one for me.

ryanm2, Mar 18, 6:36am
Would you rather the BMW designers learn from the HSV designers! Stick on a row of LED's, put uglier wheels on it (compared to the average SV6 or whatever), add a bonnet scoop, flare the guards, add another scoop, paint the scoop black.

freedomaira320, Mar 18, 9:50am
That's the very reason people like BMWs. Timeless designs that don't change every five minutes. And if you know anything about them, you can spot the differences a mile off. One of the few carmakers that has a real design ethic.

1ollie, Mar 18, 10:01am
Haha eurotrash is all the same! same shapes for years that only a mother could love, extremely over priced to buy, notoriously unreliable & very expencive to repair when the regular breakdowns happen with them and 90+% of the owners have delusions of grandeur. All whilst the rest of the public laughs at the fact that they own a car with half the looks & performance of a car thats worth half as much from Japan, the US or Ozzy

phillip.weston, Aug 1, 5:42pm
That's a joke, right!