Oil grades & additives for diesel engine

mrfxit, Jun 28, 5:59am
1st off, just want to say WHAT A DIFFERENCE, changing the oil grade & type in my Surf has made.
Over the last 2 years or so, have been running std diesel grade mineral 15/40 oil = always seemed to be running ok.
Put in mineral 15/50 & everything about the engine seemed slower/ starting/running . well just everything
Just replaced with Valvoline engine Armour 15/40 semi synthetic& YEA, hell of a difference.
Smoother/ easier starting/ rev's better, so far very good.

Any ways . whats the clear leader in fuel additives for effectiveness & price

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 6:14am
I use Morey's diesel fuel additive, mainly for its lubrication properties. And yes, changing engine oil grade and type makes a hell of a difference. In summer, I use Penrite 15w50 semi synthetic oil and 10w30 in winter. Prior to that I was using 15w40 mineral oil, which was OK but not great.

mrfxit, Jun 28, 6:17am
Yea was certainly surprised how much of an effect the semi synthetic had,
used grades like that before in petrol motors before but NEVER noticed anything like this.

intrade, Jun 28, 6:18am
i normally use valvoline diesel extra 10 liter trade packs for diesel.
and chemtech for the fuel

mrfxit, Jun 28, 6:20am
Yea me too, but got this stuff cheap at $30 for 6 litre pack.
Who's gonna argue about THAT!

jmma, Jun 28, 10:01am
I use Powerup in my truck and I do get 10% extra kms, I also add it to my oil

dave653, Jun 28, 11:16pm
Just remember, flat tappet cams (most older engines and diesels) need zinc in the oil. Protects the cam lobes. Have been reading about using diesel oil in the 202 I'm about to fit.

mrfxit, Jun 29, 7:59am
This 1 has roller rockers.

Using diesel oil in a petrol motor will certainly find out where your oil leaks are

busdriverman, Jun 29, 8:07am
What model Surf!

flashgordon_nz, Jun 29, 8:12am
http://www.unitedoil.com.au/apiclass.htm

there is a power of info there.
and yeah, for an older diesel i run, i needed an oil with a zinc in it, for upper lubrication.

mrfxit, Jun 30, 5:02am
1988 LN61 2.4T 5 speed

mrfxit, Aug 17, 12:45pm
Any more thoughts on the best for price combo