Mechanics/ people that do WOFs advise please.

mizkfc, Jun 29, 4:00am
will try to explain this to the best of my ability as im not male lol ok so my car has no fog light switch on the inside, the people that had my car previously put a front bumper on that has just the clear covers for fog lights (if i had them). well the mechanics failed me on my warrent for not having working fog lights, apparently i need to get them wired up and put bulbs in them. he said there is a switch for them my partner and i have looked all over and there is no switch! the last wof we went for was a different mechanics and they passed it and said nothing about the lights. are they trying to rip us off! should we just try another place!

thunderbolt, Jun 29, 4:02am
I think they are correct, so can you just remove the lights!

mizkfc, Jun 29, 4:07am
they told me im not aloud to remove the lights because if theres a switch they should be working. but there isnt a switch there is no fog light button option on my car at all. just the park lights, head lights, high beam.

tonyrockyhorror, Jun 29, 4:33am
Fog lamps are not compulsory. Remove the lamps.

If fog lamps are fitted, they must be able to be switched off from the drivers position. If they say there's a switch, have them show you where it is.

andrea_w, Jun 29, 5:15am
I removed my factory spot lights due to fitting something behind the bumper. I obviously have a factory switch on my dash, which still works.
It's never been a WoF issue.

mizkfc, Jun 29, 7:01am
thank you everyone. i wont be going to back them 4 my wof

intrade, Jun 29, 7:14am
remove the things out of the bumper and it will pass easy .they just did not tell you this. another good one is . when you got a worn out spear tyre you just remove it for the wof and it also will pass as you dont need it for a wof but if it is there it must be secure and must not be worn . just so you know another moron rule.

bigracket, Jun 29, 7:20am
Surly they cant fail it for having the clear lense in the bumper! I know they either have to work or both not work but really ! you have to not even have the lense there ! well ill be a monkeys uncle!

intrade, Jun 29, 7:21am
well did yoe read the rule for the tyre !

bigracket, Jun 29, 7:23am
Year, who writes this sheet! not a mechanic I bet.

mrfxit, Jun 29, 7:44am
Wrong . Only regulation regarding spare wheels is that it must be secured if the boot compartment is NOT sepperated from the passenger compartment by a FIXED wall (seats DON'T count) OR is exposed to the outside of the vehicle.
There is NOTHING specific that states the wheel must be wof'able or even inflated or able to be fitted.
WE (motoring msg brd) went through this a year or 2 ago & nit picked the reg's.

Back on track now . Accessory lights MUST work or NOT be fitted (Ie: if they are fitted, they must work), the hole they were fitted in to has nothing to do with the wof EXCEPT any wiring must be made safe & secured.

mrfxit, Jun 29, 7:49am
Either fix the lights or remove them & make sure any wiring for them is safe & secure

mizkfc, Jun 29, 9:28am
your right there are no bulbs, no wiring, no switch, just the plastic covers. its a skyline. he even charged me 30 bux for 2 breaklights (just the bulbs)! i said to him well why did the other people that gave me a wof last time not mention the lights! he said oh well they should have we all go buy the same sheet! my arse you do just trying rip people off.

johnf_456, Jun 29, 9:36am
Personally I'd just go else where, this guy sounds like a twat. He does not sound professional at all. Plastic covers over lights should not need working lights IMHO for fog lights.

lovemore_mbigi, Jun 29, 9:00pm
The wof guy in post 1 is just being a pedantic time waster - and probably taking full advantage of the fact that you are a woman [as most of them take delight in doing].

Take your business somewhere else and name and shame.

mizkfc, Aug 13, 9:48am
lean mcleod auto services, mosgiel dunedin.