Mechanics pricing inconsistency

adriansi, Jun 26, 8:34pm
how can you justify $600 dollars before gst for installing a CV boot. Some kind of standards need to be put in in this country so pricing is more consistent across the board.
I ring 1 place that quotes $300 and another quotes $1000 simply ridiculous. Ill frigin install it myself. I may have butter fingers but at least if I take the car to somebody else who installed this. I can say I did *&(*& you. instead of having paying $1000 dollars for installing a car tyre of a tyre shop that cant even put the nuts the right way up. youtube can show me everything I need to know. bloody cowboys

intrade, Jun 26, 8:38pm
ummm on a citroen you probably be a while with no tools lol. not all cv joint fiton the same way. so depends on the car but ye amost are a max of 3h to 4 h a side if they are stuck on. vehicles i had to surically remove cv are mitsubishi and mazda so far.

hutchk, Jun 26, 8:38pm
Why don't you just that instead of getting all angry-internet-man about it! Just an idea.

zephyrheaven, Jun 26, 8:38pm
What kind of Maserati is it!
I charge $69+ for a boot incl labour but lately due to liquifaction - there aint many cv's with split boots that dont sound like a machine gun when turning

big.b-lil.c, Jun 26, 10:44pm
when things go well all is good, when things go bad the car will still be sitting on blocks/bricks on the lawn in 5 years.

richardmayes, Jun 26, 11:07pm
Great idea! They could set up a Ministry of Auto Mechanics.

When a customer brings a car in to be assessed, if the mechanic has any doubts about how to price the work he could ring an 0800 number and speak to a Policy Analyst (=22 year old girl with an Arts Degree.) She would be able to immediately look up "replace CV boot"on the Ministry's Database, and tell the mechanic how much he is allowed to charge for doing said work.It would be a beautiful thing. State control fixes almost every problem.

nathanmac, Jun 26, 11:45pm
come on bob, you should understand the pricing better than that - the guy that quoted 1000 bux has obviously factored in the fact that by the time he's finished replacing the cv boot, he'll have to replace the wheel studs he broke off because he forgot which way was tight and which way was loose.he'll have to use some of that money to buy a press to remove the broken ones as there isn't one in his mother's garage that he operates out of. by the time he's figured out that it's actually the front wheels that need to come off he will have already spent a day and a half working on it, and hey who works for free these days!

the bloke that can complete the job for 6 hundy at least recognize's he'll probably only put the jack through the sump, puncturing it and munting up the oil pickup.there's $550 just like that by the time a replacement is freighted by goat to the nearest port to the czech republic!

i'd be most wary of the $300 quote.the guy will get his car back full of mcdonalds packets and empty v bottles, the $800 cash he forgot about in the centre console will be missing and he'll explain away the dented panels by saying it was like that when the car arrived - had nothing to do with the fact that his judgement at aiming cars through garage doors at 2am after a decent pub session isn't quite so good. but the cv boots will have the finest electrical tape money can buy wrapped around them 150 times.

matthew111, Jun 26, 11:50pm
any mechanic can charge what they like. it is the idiots that pay for it that make the difference.

pandai, Jun 26, 11:55pm
Inner CV joint!

suplyuparts, Jun 26, 11:59pm
cv boot $25.learning from you tube. free.takes less then 30mins to fix.

suplyuparts, Jun 27, 12:00am
hahaha.just like have to pull the sump off then taking the pistons out ,then pull the head off .just to get to the spark plugs.!

elect70, Jun 27, 3:04am
Jeez I had mobile mech fit a new CV joint in an hour in mitsi v3000$65 labourjoint cost $50 .

bae13, Jun 27, 8:05am
but hey a dentist can charge 120 dollars an hour andits ok,
a computer geek can charge 130 per hour to sort computer issues,
a lawyer can charge 150 dollars to interpret the law for you
but a mechanic cant charge what he is worth 80-90 dollars an hour!

you can pull your own teeth, but it wont be as good a job as the dentist,
you can download a c drive cleaner and speed your computer up, but is that the cause,
you can read the law books and interpret the law yourself but you may getbamboozoled with big words,
but fuck it you can fix your car cant you,
cars arent as simple as they used to be mate.

you can have a go at taking the wheel off, can you torque the wheels back to the manufactures settings, can you acsess the axle real easy, na will probably have to remove the strut, so dont break the abs sensor, dont disconnect a brake hose late model cars with abs/ebd will need a special bleed, oh have you the correct tools to loosen the axle nut, not all manufacturers use commonly available fastners, so make sure you get the correct tools for your one off job. you probably had to remove the brake caliper as its in the way, do you have the tool to wind the caliper back in,you have made it this far. continue
so here you go
now your up to removing the axle, how on earth do you remove it from the gearbox.google it, it has all the answers, well can you be sure the techniques are from qualified people, or are they just back yarders like yourself and just writing a story to make themselves look good, better have cuppa ive been googling for an hour now and cant find my model.ok back to the car. better just give it a pull, sh&t there is oil leaking everywhere put a rag in the hole, dam must be half a liter on the ground, she'l be right. wont it. or will it, ill just risk it anyway you say,
ok now the axle in in my hands, how do i fit this boot, do i remove the cv, or do i buy aband aid boot!a band aid boot! whats that! well some people sell onesthat are universal and some strech over the cv, some work well, others not so,Sh(t what do i buy, i dont want to have to do it again. but a genuine one is dear but i know its the best fit.
na super cheap will sell one, the doe eyed chick behind the counter said it would. she was a nice girl she wouldnt put me crook. if she did id stick it in hard to make her scream. oh where were we.
ok so the new boot is on, what does this metal strip do. oh it goes round there. how do you tie it up, grab one of the special cv tools to do it that you have. or bodge it if you dont have one. fit the axle back, how does it go in, well it fells in! do i hit it or just push, push the axle back through the hub, its splined! do i have to line the splines up. oh i dont know surely not, but maybe.
ive been at this awhile its time for another cuppa, dam its 3 in the afternoon and i started this at 10, was gonna mow the lawns.
okive googled and i think idont have to get the splines back in the same posi.
now goes on the axle nut, just tight as i can with my new 3/8 socket set, because this is all mechanics have, now how do i put the brakes back on. for some reason they wont go back on, just jamm some screwdrivers in on the pads and pry the pads apart, surely i cant damage the pads. could i! well we taking a few risks here but we can add this risk also.
ok assembled the strut and connected the brake hose and the wires for the sensor,
put the wheels back on and just tighten the shit out of the wheel nuts, it ok, manufactures put torque settingsto adhere to for wheel nuts. but ive seen those monkeys at the tyre shop with those guns, they just rattle the hell out of them. but why do they have those colourful extensions. i wonder what they are for.
ok good to go, lets start the car up and go for a drive.
your in gear ready to go, hey whats the orange light on the dash. oh we can just drive and see if its ok, you get to the

bae13, Jun 27, 8:09am
end of the drveway and the brake goes to the floor, but also there is a funny sound and smell, did you remove that rag!
ok we will just remove the battery terminal to clear the light, thats all those expensive machines do. dont they!
this has ruined your afternoon let alone weekend cos your unsure if you took the rag out.

should have just paid the money the mechanic wants, then this is all his problems.

fact is the mechanic wouldnt have these issues because it is his trade and he knows it.
leave it to them!

jrlaw, Jun 27, 8:11am
Just take the price that suits you easy is it not. Some can be a very differcult boot to renew,

sw20, Jun 27, 8:40am
WALLOFTEXT

ceebee2, Jun 27, 9:21am
Well you got an unfair ribbing there! As some have already said, you must own a very expensive vehicle because the average CV boot fitted to the outer CV is 1.5 hrs labour + CV boot ($25 - $50) on most Japanese cars. It can be done cheaper if you have the cheapy CV boots that slip over the CV joint with out having to dismantle the joint but you need the conical tool to do them.

Cheers CeeBee

bjdw, Jun 27, 10:29am
You can get complete shafts with both joints and boots fitted for under $300 retail now for a lot of Jap cars.

cp2011, Jun 28, 2:35am
REPCO\APPCO

xacoon, Jun 28, 3:14am
I have never heard anything so rediculous in my life. honestly, someone with an arts degree that has a job!

mecanix, Aug 5, 12:16am
75 + gst for pretty much any straight forward cv boot replacement.