97 Nissan Primera whining noise?

xxpupxx, Jun 26, 7:41am
After driving for a while it makes a whining noise, when you put your foot on the accelerator it goes away seems to be when idling. Any ideas!

greghale, Jun 26, 8:15am
turbo.

xxpupxx, Jun 26, 11:31pm
It dosn't have a turbo

jason18, Jun 26, 11:43pm
Is the wife sitting next to you!:)

jason18, Jun 26, 11:44pm
Is it a belt that's squeeling

xxpupxx, Jun 27, 12:19am
haha mate, I am the wife. Hence the stupid questions.

xxpupxx, Jun 27, 1:20am
*At the risk of sounding like an idiot* Is that to do with the Radio! If so, I don't think so. I have had a mechanic try to locate the problem to no avail. All belts are fine. It's quite a loud whine, but like I said when you put your foot on the accelerator it disappears til idling again. Doesn't make the noise while your actually driving, Only when stopped at the lights or in traffic.

msj23, Jun 27, 1:22am
Is it a whine or a squeeky sort of noise!

dent, Jun 27, 1:30am
its a water pump wine / squeal common on nissans.

xxpupxx, Jun 27, 1:31am
Couldn't really call it squeaky. More of a long (never ending) squeal. Someone did suggest the radiator cap - but there's no problem there.

xxpupxx, Jun 27, 1:35am
Ok, Cheers will look into that. So the accelerating would make the noise disperse then if it were the water pump!

msj23, Jun 27, 1:37am
Ring your nearest nissan dealership and ask for the parts or service centre (may not be open today) and give them your make and model plus engine number and they will tell you in 2 secs what the prob is. But don't let them fool you into doing the repair for you they could be expensive, just quote what they say to your trusted mechanic

dent, Jun 27, 1:43am
yeah ive herd it befor where it comes in at idle then gose away once you raise the revs.

ceebee2, Jun 27, 10:05am
Get your mechanic to connect a vacuum gauge to the manifold, will soon detect any manifold leaks if its that loud.

Does it make the same noise in Park as opposed to Drive with foot brake on!

guest, Sep 19, 8:20pm
did you ever find out what this was, im getting the exact same thing on my 96 primera