Rattling noise- help

gboysmum, Dec 5, 4:15am
my car has just started making a kind of tinny rattling noise. any clues!
thanks

Btw, its a 1990 mitsi lancer, and only started making the noise today

crzyhrse, Dec 5, 4:18am
There's a very small child under your bonnet!

crzyhrse, Dec 5, 4:19am
Ironic.

gboysmum, Dec 5, 4:19am
haha, nah theres not

crzyhrse, Dec 5, 4:35am
Whatever you do don't mention anything relevant which might help with a diagnosis like the conditions under which it occurs and when it goes away. That might actually give someone a CLUE and that's not how we roll.

gj0502, Dec 5, 4:52am
It could be the flux capacitor, sometimes the bushings go which results in a rattling noise.

snork28, Dec 5, 4:56am
sounds like could be baffles rotted out inside muffler,that will make a tinny rattly noise,but then so will a lot of other things.

geedubu, Dec 5, 4:56am
OK, to shorten what could be a tiresomely long thread, you have an older Nissan and the timing chain tensioner needs replacing as it is rattling at start up.Please don't tell us anything else, justgo away, sell it and buy something else.

geedubu, Dec 5, 4:58am
Oooo sorry lost interest after reading the heading, didn't see that you revealed that it was a Misti, but same answer, just change brand.

kazbanz, Dec 5, 5:03am
OK so an older mitzi lancer has a timing chain !

mrfxit, Dec 5, 5:51am
*stirrers ^ ^ ^ *

Muffler broken
Does it get faster along with how much higher you rev the motor
Can you hear it while driving
Does it effect anything while driving

snoopy221, Dec 5, 6:00am
Just a REGULAR noise from a REGULAR 91 lancer running on REGULAR.
[Tink ya need da **SUPER** model]

snoopy221, Dec 5, 6:01am
**top marks** for lifting the bonnett and checking for the small child.

gboysmum, Dec 5, 8:00am
well sorry but i dont have a blimmin clue i only asked for possibilites, i didnt ask you all to diagnose the problem. I was only wondering what causes rattling, just to get some ideas. Jeez

gboysmum, Dec 5, 8:03am
it does seem to go in time with how fast the car goes, and i can hear it when im driving though its alot more noticable when the cars idling. It doesnt affect anything, yet!

3tomany, Dec 5, 8:04am
well people are obsessed with the little stuff when its obviouse youre big end bearings are gone, just pull it to bits easy as and have a look

goron56, Dec 5, 8:05am
Looseor missing bolt on manifold heat sheild.

andrea_w, Dec 5, 8:21am
There are potentially hundreds of different things that can rattle on a car - from a wire behind a dash to an engine that's about to die.
Your vague question got the replies it deserved.