Personalised plates. What happens if you sell your car and want to keep the plates do you have to put them on another car

rover79, Jun 24, 10:06am
What happens if you sell your car and want to keep the plates!
Do you have to put them on another car/

gorgie14b, Jun 24, 10:31am
Can keep your personalised plates. Go to LTSA agent such as VTNZ. They have a form for this purposeand can issue you with a set of standard plates for your car. Simply fit those and you get to keep your personalised plate . Your personalised plate doesn't have to be put on another car either, and can be kept in your cupboard or other safe place until you find the car you want to put it on. You can then re-fit them to your new car by filling in the same form mentioned earlier and surrendering the standard plates.

I did it a few years ago when I took my plate off my car. Cost about $10 then from memory - cost probably gone up since then.

rover79, Jul 22, 6:11pm
I know years ago not long after they first come out, you had to hand them back in andthey charged a storage on them when you wanted to uplift them and put them on another car. The reason I ask is because I done this and it has been quite a few years and worried it might cost me a small fortune.