Personalised plates. We have sold our vehicle but it has personalised plates on itdoes anyone know how we change them over and i

blackbnz, Jan 26, 7:22pm
We have sold our vehicle but it has personalised plates on it.Does anyone know how we change them over and is there a cost involved!Do I go into aa and get the old plates!

franko171, Jan 26, 7:27pm
go to vtnz get new plates &15 just done mine

helen_nz2, Jan 26, 11:36pm
at the risk of asking a dumb question .how do you then swap them over. Do they send you out new plates! Do you have to go to a mechanic to get them installed, are there additional costs to the $15 mentioned above!

shortee2, Jan 27, 12:07am
Go to the AA, you will need to fill out a form for New Plates, unscrew Personalised Plates, very easy, with a Screwdriver, put on New Plates Easy.No the $15 is all you pay, if you cant do the Plates changeover your self, geta Male, Neighbour, Husband, Brother, Lover, to do it for you. No Need to Pay a Mechanic.

smac, Jan 27, 1:00am
.and then cross your fingers and hope the buyer didn't think the plates were part of the deal.

m16d, Jan 27, 1:50am
And you take the PP's home with you hang them on the wall or put them on your next car.

blackbnz, Jan 27, 3:48am
lol no our buyer is happy to have original plates!

bellky, Jan 27, 3:52am
what do you mean by 'original plates'!

owene, Jan 27, 6:20am
So can someone explain to me why Personalised Plates NZ charge so much to make a set of personal plates owned by me since 199x when they first became available! Or is the fat fee just a big ripoff!

blackbnz, Jan 27, 6:36am
original plates the vehicle was first registered with.you take them off and put on personalised plates!

socram, Jan 27, 7:32am
If the plates are personalised and you already own them, (ie you paid your $300 or $400 or whatever it cost then) and all you want is a replacement set (lost, damaged, stolen etc.)then the cost is not high - unless it has recently rocketed.What have you been quoted!
If the plates just happen to be on a car you own, then they are not personalised - I assume you knew that!

owene, Jan 27, 8:08am
No, when the personalised plates first came onto the market, I secured it by credit card. It's still recorded as belonging to me but the plates have never been on a vehicle or even made up. Now they want $650 to make the two plates as I'm ready to put them on a vehicle. That seems excessive given that I already own the number.

socram, Jan 27, 8:14am
I also have a set prepaid and I just have to let them know when the car is ready to accept them.I'd give them a ring.If no joy, threaten them with the small claims court.
Maybe you bought them before Murray Thom sold the original business and they just don't have a record!Find that hard to believe though.

smac, Jan 27, 9:15am
How much did you pay to secure them owene!

owene, Jan 27, 9:22am
Can't remember as it was back in the 90's. But there is no dispute that they are in my name.

studio1, Jan 27, 9:13pm
When they first started they were $300 to purchase. PP had a stand at a motorshow in Hamilton and we had the stand next to them. During the quiet moments I spent a lot of time looking at what was available on their laptop as this was in the days before the internet (late 80s if I remember correctly).
The lady on the stand asked me what I did for a job and she said "how about this then!" and I bought them on the spot. I still 'own' the plates but they have not been manufactured since the early 90s. I surrendered them when I sold the car and they went into storage (as they did back then). After 6 months or a year they were destroyed. All different now of course.
I did inquire recently and there is only a small fee to have them remade.
The only thing I don't like is that it will be in this new small boxy font they are now using. The old set were in the previous, more readable font.