How to adjust rear brakes on a cortina?

mopar63, Jun 21, 8:23am
you'd think it would be simple, I even looked i the book!, my boys bought a mk3 cortina1600 that some noddy had welded the spider gears on so we swapped the diff for a m4 1600 one,brakes were a bit spongy,this is a non servo disc front end,we bled them up ,weren't too bad but couldn't really see where to adjust the rear drums ,aren't they supposed to be automatic adjusting on mk3 and 4's!,they are in the booksbut both diffs had no auto adjusting mechanisms so just had to wind out the 'star' adjuster and bang the drums on. seems to be ok but wonder if the auto adj. mechanisms used to play up and were left out of cortinas back in the days

3tomany, Jun 21, 8:29am
yip auto adjusters will give greef just be patient and back them off manualy if to tight and vice versa if not working

unclejake, Jun 21, 8:31am
It sounds like some of the components are missing or that the wrong shoes are in there. I ran a Pre65 race car like that and it worked well, but.In the end I cut a small slot in each backing plate so I could get a bent screwdriver in there to turn the stars.

That worked very, very well

franc123, Jun 21, 8:36am
There is parts missing I'd say, the star adjuster is part of the auto adjuster, it is turned by a lever than pivots on one of the brake shoes, and works when the handbrake is operated.Some of those 1600's had 8" drums and used two toothed quadrant things attached to the front shoe that meshed into each other, the 9" ones fitted to 2000cc models had the star adjusters. If memory serves of course, it's been a while!

mrfxit, Jun 21, 9:04am
It's "an art form" to be able to correctly adjust drum brakes.
Often takes YEARS to learn the correct & effective way to adjust them if you don't have an experienced person to guide you.
Otherwise you can be fluffing around with them for months.

unclejake, Jun 21, 9:16am
^ The problem with this arrangement is that there is no possibility of manual adjustment unless a hole is cut in the backing plate

"Years" sounds like a long time to adjust two shoes (on each side I admit)

snoopy221, Jun 21, 9:24am
had to wind out the 'star' adjuster and bang the drums on. SIMPLE is one wheel on the ground and a reversed drum wheel nutted on and either a die grinder or even a 4 inch grinder and second gear at idle-and de-lip-machine em. adjust to fit-fit and voila. gor blimey ya have a drum brake machine there-why not use it!-Meh-tis either SIMPLE and EXPERIENCE or some ruff c.n.t.end of the day one can machine on car pro[P]e[edit=p]=LOL]rly and competently IF! one has EXPERIENCE in brakes and brake machining. but tis the lip that is the adjustment failure problem-and even as lazy as auto adj's are-and they are so the lipped drum can be removed they do work a wee bit.LOL

mopar63, Jun 21, 9:34am
yea snoopy beat ya to that one , I ground of the lip to fit them on, I think I'll take unclejakes suggestion to and cut a wee hole in the backing plate too, geez it's fun working on ya boys car outside at night ,esp when there's an AP5 and a AMX in the shed that I'd much rather be playing with haha,cheers guys

snoopy221, Jun 21, 9:43am
I even looked i the book

yeah roit.passes tui.LMAO.
sheesh if we had an over score i reckon i'd have ta do the ole snoop overscore moan-LOL
It's about time we all got back to MOTORING.and all the damn ruff C tricks we all know-I.E. Respek.

mrfxit, Jun 21, 9:44am
LOL Snoopy,
Yep theres Real mechanics & then theres Book mechanics

ceebee2, Jun 23, 4:56am
Any chance of a pic or 2!

big.b-lil.c, Jul 17, 1:59pm
i took the auto adjust off the capri when they went silly and had the drums smokin on one side. perhaps same thing happened! they work better now that i adjust them myself