Does anyone here own a nissan avenir with sr20de

mopar63, Jun 18, 3:46am
I'm looking at one to replace the wifes galant, it's a 2000 model s/w non turbo with tiptronic! or cvvt trans!,sr20de 2.0 L,been told by my local garage that they can be thirsty ,may even use as much as my EL coon,wife likes it but I don't if they are known to be guzzlers,any thoughts!will be used as a run around car and occasional trip,cheers

mopar63, Jun 18, 3:47am
or am I better to stick with original plan of an AU wagon!

johnf_456, Jun 18, 3:51am
Pretty good on gas my mate has one and takes abuse day in day out. He reckons its fine on gas.

ninja_man, Jun 18, 5:00am
the sr20 engine is very good on gas

vtecintegra, Jun 18, 5:11am
The CVT can be pretty hard on gas at low speeds - there is something weird about how they're geared

mopar63, Jun 18, 5:19am
yea my mate at the garage said the trans can seem 'strange' if ya not used to them

mopar63, Jun 18, 5:23am
they seem reasonably big in the boot area,

jezz43, Jun 18, 7:05am
i had a W10 version (1996). SR20DE with 4WD. went well and handled great. not overly thirsty tho

vtecintegra, Jun 18, 7:08am
That is one of their big plus points - the rear suspension design is really compact and doesn't intrude into the load area very much at all.

On the flip side they don't handle very well even for a mid sized wagon

mopar63, Jun 22, 9:50am
so took the avenir I was looking out for a run, not that impressed, has cvt trans which worked as it should but takesa bit of getting used to it as it is different than a normal auto, thought it might be a bit gruntier but was ok for a town around car, rode hard and hard seats and noisy, actually thought my work Caldina was better overall and the wife's old '99 galant is quieter too so still looking,may go back to the AU coon idea but my wife has taken a liking to those newer shape Primera wagons,2001-2003,any thoughts on these! I see some fairly cheapish -6-8g's with moderate k''s , say 120ish, what the big problems with these things apart from the CVT trans!

snowballs4, Jun 22, 6:43pm
sr in a Mitsubishi go rb, then u know what is thirsty, it would be upsetting n a Mitsubishivr4 twin turbos are thirsty as well

jason18, Jun 22, 8:30pm
I have had the 2000 primera wagon sr20 with cvt and it was pretty mint on gas around town and open road. I did upgrade to a coon wagon AU and havent looked back. Love the power and space. Plus CVT is crap for towing 700kg max. Make sure its been well serviced and the cvt wont let you down.

jason18, Jul 14, 5:44pm
Have an 04 primera wagon now for the wife. Had two trans since we bought under warrenty as they werent serviced. I hate the car now thanks to these earlier problems. Nice cars otherwise. Not great power but doable. Good on gas. Average is 10.6 mostly around town. Go for Jap import as they have the extras like reversing camera etc.