Holden rodeo 3.1 turbo

bigmacca, Jun 18, 8:49am
hi ive got a 1994 holden rodeo fitted with a mu 3.1 turbo diesel engine.my problem is the engine feels like it isnt getting full boost .ive checked everywhere for boost leaks and come up with nothing.both intake and exaust manifolds arent leaking either.the engine isnt showing any signs of being worn out . so am a bit stumped.the turbo starts boosting at about 2800rpm then at 3500rpm it just completly drops off .any smart ideas on testing to see if the turbo or engine is getting bit buggered!or if you have had the same sort of problems.cheers

zephyrheaven, Jun 18, 8:51am
thats high to cut in, should be 1800rpm give or take, check the EGR (if still fitted)

dent, Jun 18, 8:57am
have u checked the boost readings!

bigmacca, Jun 18, 8:59am
hithe egr has been removed .the turbo is standard but feels very laggy and seems to have a narrow powerband.when i brought the ute it pulled like a schoolboy ,now it seems to really struggle under load

dent, Jun 18, 9:01am
possibly even a fuel bloackage making a symptom like low boost.

bigmacca, Jun 18, 9:01am
have tried to take a boost reading but am unsure of where to hook my boost gauge up to.have tried once and only got a vacum reading.

bigmacca, Jun 18, 9:03am
have fitted new fuel filter and checked lines.made no noticeable change to running.is it possible im not getting enough pressure thru the injector pump!

electro2000, Jun 18, 9:23am
Yep been there with my work Rodeo bloody thing got slower and slowercould hardly hear the turbo , put in the shop had all the so called experts look at it , moved it on to local diesel and turbo shop turned out the turbo was hardly spooling up due to worn bearings! not not far off seizing, they rebuilt the turbo, now she pulls like a school boy and you can hear the thing
Not saying it's your problem but that was mine

bigmacca, Jun 18, 8:00pm
sounds a lot like my rodeos problem.how much did it cost to rebuild!

paul271, Jun 19, 6:22am
Turbos are common for seizing on these

bigmacca, Jun 19, 6:36am
cheers for that.its all pointing towards the turbo slowly failing.has anyone had a go at replacing the standard turbo with a 1.8 /2l petrol turbo!im not worried about the fabrication and modifying side of things.

electro2000, Jun 21, 7:40am
$550 drive in drive out

bitsamisn, Jun 22, 7:17am
are those turbos waste gated!

bae13, Jul 12, 8:17am
disconnect the exhaust from the turbo (exit side) and run it disconnected up the street to rule out a blocked exhaust system