Driving with no WoF- exceptions?

Page 1 / 3
zoltec45, Jun 14, 5:00am
Hello old wise and wonderful motoring message boarders- recently i was ticketed for driving without a WoF. I was driving from my house to the tyre shop and back (about 500m away) and was pulled over.
My car has no wof, and i was driving to the tyre shop to get new tyres to get the car certified, when i was pulled over it was already booked into the certifiers but the cop didnt want to have a bar of it and gave me a ticket.
I think it was because i am 20 and drive a modified jap car. Is there any exceptions to the law saying i am allowed to drive to get work done for a wof! i had the new tyres on the car when pulled.
The cop was acting like he was above the law, i offered to ring the certifier there and then to confirm cert booking but the cop just acted like a cock.
What if anything can i do!

corky, Jun 14, 5:08am
"The cop was acting above the law"!

The cop was acting within the law, you my friend were breaking the law.

bigracket, Jun 14, 5:08am
There are no exceptions, It should have been towed there. Not being high and mighty, I would have driven it to, but hey.

vtecintegra, Jun 14, 5:14am

bash, Jun 14, 5:16am
when thy have to deal with bull shit from young cocks in jap shit all day what make you any different

cjohnw, Jun 14, 5:22am
The law allows for the vehicle to be driven to a place of repair, for the purpose of obtaining a Warrant of Fitness.

If you are able to get written verification from the tyre shop that your vehicle was booked for new tyres to be fitted, send that in with a letter stating you were driving the vehicle solely for that purpose.

berg, Jun 14, 5:41am
But,,,,,, if the vehicle while being driven was in an un warrantable state, ie, the tyres would not pass a WOF, this does not apply. A little clause to stop people driving unsafe vehicles on the road.

zoltec45, Jun 14, 5:42am
Wow there are a lot of people high and mighty on here. Perhaps if i was driving a V8 it would be different! But hey a silvia with complete suspension setup, big wheels, fully worked engine Really is a piece of jap shit isnt it.
I imagine it was pulled over because it is low, loud and a pretty eye catching car. The difference being i am not some young gun dick head wearing his cap on the side, baggy jeans and mouthing off.
I was polite, looked him in the eye and didnt give him any stick at all.

Maybe if you guys wernt morons like this cop seemed to be, you could re read the first question which is, are there any exceptions to the law saying i cant drive on the road without a wof. Such as driving to get work done.
Also my point is it seemed that the cop didnt even know what a cert was.
Even V8s need a cert, get off your high horses, you sound like idiots.

zoltec45, Jun 14, 5:45am
Thanks for the answer, at least you actually read the question and gave a deacent answer.
I didnt think it was any different from joe bloggs going to VTNZ, failing, and driving to get new tyres. Or does joes car need to be put on a trailer!

I wasnt driving an unsafe car, i had just got NEW tyres. I was driving without a wof to get the tyres

cjohnw, Jun 14, 5:48am
In my view, if the ticket was simply issued for an expired wof, I would argue the case based on it was being driven to a compliance centre.

If the ticket actually states that the vehicle is unsafe, then yes, that is a different situation. And would require being towed to a place of repair.

OP doesn't state either though.

vtecintegra, Jun 14, 5:49am
You could argue the vehicle 'was safe to be operated for that purpose' despite having less than warrantable tyres.

Not saying you'd necessarily win in court but you could certainly make a case.

zoltec45, Jun 14, 5:50am
Ticket does not state being unsafe. Ticket is for "operating a motor vehicle without current wof"

berg, Jun 14, 5:55am
The issue is the ticket wording. A ticket for "operated a vehicle not up to WOF standard" cannot be issued to a vehicle that has no WOF. That makes the correct charge "operated a vehicle evidence of inspection (WOF)".
The other charge available then would have been "operated a dangerous motor vehicle" which carries a $600 penalty.
If the vehicle would not have passed a WOF when stopped the police have charged you with the correct charge

cjohnw, Jun 14, 5:56am
Then, if it was me. I would challenge it by obtaining confirmation of that fact from the tyre shop that it was booked for new tyres to be fitted.

Good luck

ginga4lyfe, Jun 14, 5:56am
just contest it, and have lots or written signed and dated proof that you were only taking it to that place for tires to get it up to standard and that it was by no means unsafe

berg, Jun 14, 6:02am
Exactly. You might want to keep the tyres and include photos to prove they were indeed legal when stopped.

smac, Jun 14, 6:29am
Wow some wannabe lawyers here. If you're gonna do that, at least have enough facts to pull it off.

There is no 'exemption' as such, but there is (as already stated above) a defence. The cop was quite within his rights to ticket you, as you operated a vehicle without the WoF. It also seems you have a good chance of a successful defence if you choose to do so. Follow the instructions on the back of the ticket, it's not rocket science.

attitudedesignz, Jun 14, 6:36am
Agree 100%

johnf_456, Jun 14, 6:42am
Totally

tomt, Jun 14, 6:48am
Huh, I am now living in Aussie and you should be lucky. I drove for a week without rego as I was doing looonnnggg hours and didnt get a chance to renew. I was watching tv the night that I paid for my rego to see a cops type program, there was a unrego car, $1250fine! never again take that risk. even when in NZ our cars, trailers etc were always done on time. saves a fine :)

the_chooky, Jun 14, 6:54am
You sure you didn't do a bit of a skid with the old tyres that might have gained the attention of Mr Plod.!

bleetbleet, Jun 14, 7:20am
i understand how it would seem unfair,how ever if you drive a car that doesnt."blend into the crowd".then you need to make sure you cover your own butt.eg rego and wof a few days before it runs out,keep within the posted speed limit,completely stop at stop signs etc.i know it sux but its kinda like dressing up as a deer during the roar and wondering why other hunters are shooting at ya.lol

zoltec45, Jun 14, 7:41am
Man after 3 months up on stands in the garage, new engine, turbo, gearbox conversion, suspension, brake conversion, wheels, tyres, gauges, seats. The list goes on and on. I tell you i was dieing to open it up

zoltec45, Jun 14, 7:48am
Believe it or not i do frequent the message boards alot, just keep the posting to a minimum because no one ever asks useless shit like the bore or stroke of an SR20 which i know. I also know your not a dumbo.
The car was on the road to meet the requirements of a certification, though it had NOT been tested yet so no paperwork as to why i was on the road i just knew it would fail on tyres. Basicly what i was asking was, can i be on the road to get a wof and cert if im doing work on the car. I considered the car safe as the brakes worked ( i had just swapped hub and brake setup and re bled them) so it stopped and went fine and the headlights and indicators all worked. I wasnt just out for a cruize, the car is at a certifiers right now, went last firday

cocabowla, Jun 14, 9:53am
but op says they drove to get tyres for it to go to the certifiers NOT for its wof.

50m 500m 5km doesnt matter , had no wof. cough up sonny.