Mitsy 4wd van

propex, Jun 13, 5:31pm
can anyone tell me if the mitsy 4wd vans are any good. was looking at a 2.5 diesel.

_peas, Jun 13, 6:47pm
Are you sure that you don't mean the 2.5 litre oil as opposed to diesel because they burn more oil than whats in the fuel tank!

There will be some guys turn up that swear by the engine and it has done 6 million kms in their L200 but honestly these 4D56 engines were the most requested for parts when that was my area of employment.I wouldn't touch them.The 2.8 is a better engine but still not amazing.

phillip.weston, Jun 13, 10:33pm
I had a good run out my '91 Delica L300 4WD 2.5 diesel 5spd manual van. The earlier pre-91 engines didn't have the revised cylinder head design and was more prone to trouble. So long as the cooling system is up to scratch, they will run well. Once they are over-heated, you can expect to have head gasket issues or even a cracked head.

A few small issues I had - the lower control arm bushings wore out and had clunking from the front end on heavy suspension articulation and sharp corners. The bottom of the windscreen leaked rain water into the driver's foot well, this was tracked down to the use of faulty seam sealer under the corner panel and was an easy (but messy) fix. The engine in mine was all original and didn't use any oil that I had noticed, but did have an issue with a lazy injector causing white smoke on cold starts until warmed up. Expect about 10L/100km average fuel consumption, regardless if you're driving around town or on the open road.

propex, Jun 11, 1:59am
thanks everybody for your help