Hot Rodders are vandals. Do you agree?

Page 2 / 3
iman007, Jun 13, 8:32am
prolly the lack of money then, eh!

there are 2 types of people, car people and non car people. You obviously not, then why start a thread, sheeesh

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:35am
I like to appreciate what people have done themselves, I heard a great story of a coupe exactly the same as the link I provided a bloke in Dunedin found in Central Otago - little old lady in a run down old house, the tree in front of the garage was 40 years old if it was a day - she made the guy buying it promise her he wouldnt rod it (for this guy, it was a real struggle given its lineage & near perfect patina) but he didnt - as far as I know they cut the tree down, hauled the car home & its sitting waiting for resto to original - he found the car guy deep down that could appreciate what it was, a hot rod in its own right

guider1, Jun 13, 8:36am
If you like fully restored cars then that's your idea of enjoying an old classic, personally i'd rather make it handle better, stop better, be more reliable, ride more comfortable, look sharper. need I go on! Perhaps you should buy an old Commer truck.

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:36am
You are so wrong I own several classics mostly imported ex USA.

ross117, Jun 13, 8:38am
I reckon if Henry Ford could see some modern Hot Rods, he would absolutely love them!

mazzyz, Jun 13, 8:38am
and "Hot Rodders are vandals. Do you agree!"
I'm not a Hot Rodder, but they do their thing and good on them for reasons I mentioned above^^. You on the other hand insinuate that Rodders are "Vandals" and hop on your high horse by saying their gig isn't good enough for you to be into. Why bother starting this thread!

Wtf is going on today, are planets out of alignment or something!

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:38am
Because it was a question only and boy the reaction is very interesting.

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:41am
Your comments started off very interesting but then you too finish off with a rude comment. Without being rude can you tell me what the diffeence is between rat rods and hot rods, is it just the money!

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:41am
Radio controlled yachts might be your buzz chief but I think youve chosen to point a finger rather than ask a question

iman007, Jun 13, 8:42am
another idiot who lives under a cell phone tower, why do i bother!

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:42am
Yes Jock, man I wanted that baaaaad - it was lurking around chch for a wee bit havent seen it for ages! Not sure what happened to George's car either , shame - if I knew then what I.

antwerp87, Jun 13, 8:42am
Disagree. Its an art form. Its like saying Modding a common car to stand out is being a vandal. If you have a passion embrace it. Its what makes car enthusiasts car enthusiasts. There isint always a wrong way and a right way. Restore, remake, redesign. Its all good.

kevymtnz, Jun 13, 8:43am
they both yuk

johnf_456, Jun 13, 8:43am
Rubbish

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:44am
And I agree.

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:45am
Don't :)

kevymtnz, Jun 13, 8:45am
vandals i agree
there are more words for them but cant say that here
they just like cars that really have no use like most yank junk

mazzyz, Jun 13, 8:48am
In all honesty I believe the true vandals are the authorities who crush good working cars as a punishment, rather than selling them off at auction and using the funds gained for good.

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:48am
Now thats not fair they are entitled to their enjoyment as much as the next man.

bmwnz, Jun 13, 8:48am
I've never seen a modified hot rod that I've enjoyed the look of, but then again to be fair, I don't like old cars (or old houses for that matter, esp with Al windows) and I really don't like American cars. I don't buy into cars being 'classic'. To me they're just old cars.

However, I don't see it as vandalism. I see it as people doing something they love and in many cases, doing it well. Yes, the dollar returns can be a tad crappy, if you take the build and labour costs into consideration, but then there's very few real hobbies that make money - its not generally why people have hobbies.

I say all power to them and long may they enjoy their hobby.

vjregal770, Jun 13, 8:51am
And what do you drive!

nzrys, Jun 13, 8:53am
Good on ya bmwnz but do you think its really for the younger age group!

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 8:54am
Pics please!

Might be too late, the panelbeater started on the Mk3 ute last week - the long road to being my shop hack finally - Ive told him Easter 2012 Im driving it to Wanaka - I dont care if he is still welding & painting, there is enough room for a generator & a compressor on the back lol.

bmwnz, Jun 13, 8:55am
Well, I think that youngsters modding their Japanese cars are really just modern hotrodders. Only difference is in the base they work from.

zephyrheaven, Jun 13, 9:01am
Why didnt you take me in when I was at school wasting time 8(