Motor cycles

Page 2 / 3
plasticboys, May 30, 7:40am
oh yer 3 nsr250's and 3 rgv250's 1 rgv was a race bike and a nsr to. 1 cr80 2 yz80s 1 kx80

mk3zephyr, May 30, 7:53am
How bout our 15 time world champ solo rider!, here is some footage taken from Alexandra park of him trying to crack 26 seconds for 1000mtrs http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=B9qD_nvrxh8 Living legend in my view, and should have Sir in front of his name

plasticboys, May 30, 8:00pm
does he play rugby! lol

bmwnz, May 30, 8:15pm
My first bike was a 1958 Triumph Twenty-One (3TA), the full bathtub model. Then I moved on through 2 Thunderbirds, a Trophy, 2 Bonnies, a Norton SS and a Ducati 750. Later I bought a little Yamaha 125 trail bike and it was so much fun tearing along the beach, through rivers etc. It was light enough to lift over fences, which my other bikes certainly were not.

My father was a career Army Major & in those days you did as you were told. I wasn't allowed a push bike until I learned to ride a horse (learning balance and respect for animals), then I wasn't allowed a car until I had a motor bike (learning road awareness and self-preservation). Didn't do me any harm.

danchop, May 30, 8:32pm
got my first bike about 1976,a qa50,my first brand new bike was a 79 xr80 cost me $999 of haymaking and ragrort digging,so many bikes since i cant remember them all from motorcross to sport bikes to bmws to harleys,now im just stuck with 4

desmodave, May 30, 8:40pm
Sounds like your Dad is a clever man.

slarty45, May 30, 9:24pm
Maicoletta 250 scooter at age 14
went real good for $50
old man blew chunks but pfft

dunwoody, May 30, 9:36pm
Rode bikes all my working life, started with a 1926 Royal Enfield J 500, swapped it for an army Indian then a new J2 Royal Enfield, Vincent Rapide , Vincent Shadow. By this time I had been on practicaly every road in the Noerth and South island. For the next 60 years it was all ride to work bikes, by far the best was a 250 split twin sportts Puch, did over a hundred thousand miles on it. Now i have a CD Honda 200 1974. Will I ever grow up!

i-n-horz, May 30, 11:45pm
Second that.should be mandatory.

mk3zephyr, May 31, 2:50am
No Doesnt play rugby, sail around in boats or get into politics, Just a 15 time world champion motor cycle rider so i supposed he his screwed huh

plasticboys, May 31, 3:22am
screwed yes . needs to change his name to lomu lol dont know whats wrong with this country!

plasticboys, May 31, 3:25am
Hugh Anderson 4 time world champ . done 100,000,000 time more than any allblack could do

plasticboys, May 31, 3:30am
can't remember if it was Ivan Mauger or Hugh Anderson that once trained with the all blacks. said it was as good as going to the pub! for as all it was good for! lol

gunhand, May 31, 4:50am
I rode the Z1000 version of 750 and found I kept falling/sliding into the tank, you kinda sit downhill lol. Nice bike and very flickable. I think a beer gut keeps you from sliding down into the tank lol.

berg, May 31, 5:02am
I agree, the seat does slide you forward and it's hard too lol. Looking at a Corban replacement that has a bit more padding for touring. Love that smooth creamy 750cc 4 cylinder though. Looked at a 1000 but I need my licence for work. Replacement when the time comes will be a green and black 1000.

franko171, May 31, 5:05am
will my 2008 150cc scooter count as a bike cost the same to reg

gunhand, May 31, 5:13am
Yep nice looking bike the new Z1000.

flockton55, May 31, 9:14am
Starting in 1972, AJS500, Honda CL350, H2, Z900, GS1000S, GSX750, and lastly a 1982 GSX750SZ Katana.Got that in about 95 and still have it. Just re-animated it and am in the process of sorting out a few niggles.Feels great to ride it again, after about 6 years of it sitting in the garage under a cover.Looking at the prices on TM for SZ Katanas, some of which are fairly rubbish, I should put the effort in and make it back to mint.Matching numbers, R701 motor, nothing missing,.no I couldn't sell it! It's too much fun to ride.An 1100 would have been nice but 750 is enough power for an old man, and everything but the engine is the same.

gunhand, May 31, 9:23am
You were lucky to survive the Z900 lol. And yes make the old girl like new agian. There is the odd tidy show up but most have been painted or dicked around with.
The 750s are rarer than the 1100s due to numbers made. Im lucky enough to have a dealer release brochure book featuring the 550 650 750 1000 and 1100. Only one ive ever seen and had 20 odd years.
Wouldnt mind another Kat to restore but looking for a GPZ1100 A3. One on TM now but its dubies at the mo due to being carbed not injected.

flockton55, May 31, 9:52am
Yes the Z900 did have some ground clearance issues, but had fun on the track with it. The GS1000S was a revelation.I had that book when living in UK and mistakenly threw it out with a bunch of newspapers without knowing. (SOB!). Mine has been painted, interestingly enough, maroon over silver, just the same colour scheme as the "1100" with black engine and wire wheels that was on TM a few weeks ago. That was a 7/11 judging by the tacho, and way over-priced. There's a 750 in Ashburton on TM too, but that's a Jap domestic one with the boring old standard GS75X motor, not the R701. Again way over-priced.

bmwnz, May 31, 11:47am
One of my sisters went back to UK to get married and travelled overland from UK to NZ (apart from the places where they had to ship, obviously) on an Arial Square 4 with a sidecar. That was in the early '60s. Wouldn't try that now! Way too many trouble spots along the route. That was one HEAVY bike.

BTW - thanks for the nice words about my Dad. He would have appreciated them.

cocabowla, Jun 1, 10:46am
started riding ( badly ) on the family tc185j off road only, first road bike was the mighty honda mb-5 wasp. scared the crap out of myself when i went out to a mx meeting on it and seeing the road suddenly changing to gravel which i'd never ridden well on ,panicked and locked up the back end so she swung from side to side several times and i went onto the grass verge and missed a 8inch round corner post of a farm fence by cm's.

321mat, Jun 2, 12:10am
Hee hee. my Dad was just like that, too.
A great man, and an awesome father.

cjdnzl, Jun 2, 8:35am
I had a cobber once who had a 200cc Francis Barnett two-stroke (we called it a frantic bastard), I had a 500cc Norton, another cobber had a 350cc Velocette, yet another had a 650cc Triumph.One day we were cruising along,and Ol' Bill wound out his frantic, doing about 60 mph when the vibration shook the plug lead off and he began to slow down.Without thinking, Bill reached down and grabbed hold of the plug lead to put it back on again, forgetting the magneto was still delivering sparks, and he copped a large handful of shocks.We wondered what the hell was going on, Bill leaping about on his bike like he was demented, feet flying in the air, god knows how he managed to stay aboard without falling off.He finally let go of the plug lead and stopped, We stopped as well, almost dropping our bikes as we were laughing hysterically at Bills antics.He didn't really appreciate our mirth though!

steelman3, Jun 2, 9:09am
they would need to make a whole new award for Ivan knighthood wouldn't be good enough.