Opinions on 2002-2004 BMW M3

pixieface11, Jun 3, 8:54am
I know someone looking at a few of these for sale. Does anyone know the good and bad points and what to look out for!

rovercitroen, Jun 3, 9:01am
I have not had the pleasure of driving one but a work colleague drove a couple and he said the suspension is very hard which is good for handling on smooth roads but on our typical NZ roads it makes them a hard riding, tiring touring car. He bought a similar year 330i Coupe instead which he reckons is s better all rounder for road use despite having less power than the M3.

rob_man, Jun 3, 9:06am
So . any bad points!

sw20, Jun 3, 9:33am
Your mate is soft. I hope you smacked him in the chops for being a blouse.

chris_051, Jun 3, 10:05am
I can remember when these things were new, Aussie motoring journos reckoned the M3 wasn't worth the premium over the 6spd manual 330ci. I think that says how good the understated 330ci is. I'd have either and the M3s are a bit closer to a 330is price now due to depreciation. I know the early M3s had a few engine problems giving them the reputation of 'hand grenade', can;t remember why anymore, check out bimmerforums.com and m5board.com

vtecintegra, Jun 3, 10:06am
This is the major thing I've heard of going wrong: http://www.google.co.nz/search!hl=en&q=e46+m3+subframe+tear

Worth researching up on and inspecting carefully before buying

foxdonut, Jun 3, 12:00pm
I've been told by a semi reliable source that these can be had for as little as 25 grand if you get lucky, although it sounds like bullshit to me.

For more than 40k down though I'd probably be more inclined to pick up a close to new SS Commy or try and find a decent 911 /930/993/996.

They're fast, and a flagship car, but the M3 doesn't seem like it offers good value for money or any real benefit over a big domestic V8 with a few options.

vtecintegra, Jun 3, 12:13pm
An M3 is a very different car to a Clubsport, I don't think they're really something anyone cross-shops

foxdonut, Jun 3, 12:27pm
Lots of auto journalists from around the world have been since the M3 went to a V8. For one third the price you get a car in the SS thats' barely 10/ths of a second slower in a drag race, peaks the same top speed and as much as people don't want to believe it drives about the same around the same basic track. The M3 is still faster, but last time I checked you were paying over a 100k for a new one in the shops easy.

The M3 is a sports-saloon, same as the higher spec SS's, omitting the GTRs, CSLs etc the two cars are about even in performance and I don't agree that the BMW 'brand' justifies at minimum double the price for just a few extra 10ths of a second and an arguably better looking car.

"Sports-saloon" class cars aren't supercars to me. They're just fast A to B things with plenty of seating and a big boot - So personally, If I were buying I wouldn't pay the difference for a marginally better car.

foxdonut, Jun 3, 1:22pm
I meant to add: If I were buying a car like that I'd rather have something newer for the same money and I'm basing the prices on a quick look around TM.

chris_051, Jun 3, 6:31pm
You do realise we are horribly overcharged for Euro cars in this country, when the Monaro/GTO was for sale in the states it was roughly the same price as the M3. That there is the reason why it was a failure. Who in their right mind would take a 2dr commodore over an M3!!

bmwnz, Jun 3, 6:39pm
Almost any M3 will have harder suspension, that's the nature of the beast. The 330Ci is a 'nicer' car to drive and I loved driving mine. However, if your friend is set on an M3, I'd say - buy an M3. Personally I'd prefer an M5. The biggest downside to an M3 is the number of young drivers who want to prove to you how much faster their car is than yours. The sight of an M badge somehow turns them into idiots.

It doesn't matter what car you drive, or why - the speed limit is 104kph on the open road this weekend. ;)

dvince, Jun 4, 12:38am
Buy the M3, remove the M badges and sell them to the wannabe with the 318.

dvince, Jun 4, 1:03am
That's not correct. The Pontiac GTO retailed for around 30k US and the E46 M3 started at 45k US, plus options.
Euro cars are cheap in NZ due to the grey 2nd hand imports.

slarty45, Jun 4, 1:43am
I was keen on these and did plenty of research.
What put me off was,
body failure (cracking) where rear subframe bolts on
Vanos bolts coming loose.

rsr72, Jun 4, 3:07am
A well-optioned 330i on good tyres is a superb driving car.
Most owners never get to extend them and find out how quick they are and how great the handling can be.

pfemstn, Jun 4, 3:21am
i own a Z3 M which has the same running gear! great mechanicals but very expensive to maintain, somewhat prone to Vanos trouble as the factory o rings are not up to scratch! also rear subframe failures on some cars, overall though a great drivers car with a fabulous soundtrack!

foxdonut, May 7, 1:09pm
its just a cheaper option for basically the same thing.

Nothing "mighty" about the commodore at all.