Insurance options: only full cover in my area.

nickolaz, Jun 2, 11:42pm
I just rang and got a quote from AMI, and they said they only offer 3rd party or full cover in my area (North Dunedin/student area). After trying AA online, it looks like a similar story.

My only problem is that it's $80 a month for full cover, which is a bit much for me I think. But it's only like $10 a month for 3rd party, but I wanted a bit more than that.

Anyway, are there any other companies worth trying, because I have a feeling I'lll get the same answer.

mazz1972, Jun 2, 11:46pm

nickolaz, Jun 3, 12:02am
Thanks, just filled out the form.

r15, Jun 3, 12:35am
there's a reason why its so much. insurance companies will price a policy according to the risk. obviously the risk is too high in your area for them to make money.

you could try living in a better area - you may not feel the need for full cover then

or you could encourage your fellow students etc in the area to stop being thieves / willful damagers

johnf_456, Jun 3, 12:44am
Good luck at stopping thieves lol!

nickolaz, Jun 3, 1:42am
I can't move houses just to get car insurance. I can get full cover, justnot theft and fire. Yeah I dunno if it's worth getting full or not. In my last 2 and a half years here and had no problems.

vtecintegra, Jun 3, 1:45am
Just weigh up how much your car is worth to you with the cost of full insurance.

If you car is a fairly cheap one (which is probably a good idea down there anyway) then its probably better just to put some money aside incase your windows get broken or whatever

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 3:11am
+1 Nicely said.

ninja_man, Jun 3, 8:25am
they are a HUGE rip off.

jason18, Jun 3, 8:26am
What is the car in question!

johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:32am
I would still go minimum 3rd party regardless if you can pay for your own car has its not just about your own car. What if you accidentally hit a 50k one for example.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:42am
I pulled up behind that guys 117 Aston the other week & thought foo thats nice, saw it on Sainsbury Tonite - didnt realise it was 2.5 mil & the only one here - that would have been a nice tryout for my 3rd party on the loan car ha ha
Great bloke that owns it tho - met him once at some motoring function, was very down to earth & would never pick him out of a lineup of Aston owners

johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:46am
Exactly, try paying off one of them on the average wage. Doesn't sound like the typical Aston owner eh.

mazz1972, May 5, 12:14pm
I'd suggest making a list of insurance companies, and ring them all for options/quotes, then you'll know exactly what your options are