Wheel alignment operator

jmma, Jun 3, 9:07am
I was at work today making a little go kart for a child. Had this string set up from front kingpins to the middle of rear axle, so I could get the angles for the steering.
This w/a operator from Tonys tyres was visiting and asked "what you doing there"' When I said "I was setting up ackermans angle" he cracked up laughing and said " what the f#%ks that"
He runs a 35k machine, I feel they should at less do some sort of course and learn what makes steering do what it does.Your thoughts!

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 9:10am
toe & blow

thejazzpianoma, Jun 3, 9:30am
I am all in favor of systems that walk you through every step, fantastic for accurate repeatable results and easy training. But I fully agree, as a wheel alignment technician you should also understand from a holistic perspective what it is you are trying to achieve.

Think about it, would you pay an artist the going rate for a good painting if you knew all they could do was paint by numbers!

Knowing thebig picture is also essential for picking up when things have gone wrong and knowing where to look to rectify the problem, and I have seen quite a few really bad wheel alignments done on top gear so clearly it happens.

I would love to see what that guy does if someone brings in a Hotrod or other bespoke machine that does not have any spec in the system.

Incidentally, now I have time on my hands my wheel alignment system of choice is a digital clinometer, homemade jig, tape measure and homemade water and tube level. Can't beat it, especially given the commercial guys don't even account for the typical loading of the vehicle.

sr2, May 4, 11:17pm
Sadly these days a ???wheel alignment technician??? is a usually some pizza faced kid from the local tyre shop who has done a one day course on the subject!