Calling Jazz And Others Familliar With Peugeots.

ema1, Jun 2, 3:17am
What say you regarding a 1999 Peugeot 306 1800cc automatic, anything tobe wary of and do this model give a reliable run!
Peugeot's have been one of my more interesting Euros to suss out actually as I have had prior experience with 404's and 504's years ago.
Asking for my daughter actually.

rovercitroen, Jun 2, 4:13am
FWIW I think the 306 was more reliable than the 307 that superseded it.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 5:14am
Hi ema1, sorry Peugeot's are not really my strong point. I would suggest having tracking down a friendly 3rd party Peugeot garage and asking what goes wrong and what it costs to fix.

No offense intended to Kaz but I wouldn't take any stock at all in what the Autosure rep says. Those guys just hate on anything that is not mainstream Japanese and make no distinction at all between any European brands. in fact if they hate it with a vengeance its probably just means its a really good buy.

Best of luck with it, I would be keen to hear how you get on if you decide to buy it. Might be worth swinging by a Peugeot forum for some tips on what to look for when buying one etc. Most of those international one make forums are really helpful and quite enthusiastic.

craig04, Jun 2, 6:08am
The warranty people just hate on anything that they have to pay out on. I imagine if Peugeot's never broke down that the warranty people wouldn't be prejudiced against them.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 6:17am
Not quite, they certainly do in the U.K etc where they actually bother to measure and rate cars and adjust premiums accordingly. Here they are just lazy, so if its 4WD or European it gets the same high premium added.

It dosn't matter in the least whether the car is actually a lot more reliable or cheaper to fix than a Japanese model you could insure at standard rates.

For example if you want to insure a Volvo S40 being the 6th most reliable car on the road (according to a U.K warranty company) they will still try and stiff you with a massive premium and try and rubbish it in the greasy corners of cheesy dealer smoko rooms.

They also like to keep people buying the same tired Japanese rubbish because any boof head simpleton mechanic in the whop whops can get parts from Repco etc cheaply without having to engage their brain.

Its all about their interests and has nothing to do with the reliability of the vehicle.

BTW, I am not saying that Peugeot is reliable or not here, all I am saying is that they will hate on even the most reliable European car.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

craig04, Jun 2, 6:19am
Sorry, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 6:20am
Its worth grabbing as it will not only lay you eggs, it can make a tasty dinner as is.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 6:22am
Seriously thoughits quite cut and dry with those knuckle draggers that pedal their mechanical warranty's in NZ. If its not made in Japan they are too lazy to research it and just slap it with a stupid premium.

If you don't believe me give them a call and get a quote for an S40.

craig04, Jun 2, 6:57am
You yourself are the first to say that parts are expensive for Volvos due to no 3rd party importers.
So, how about a little consistency.

zephyrheaven, Jun 2, 8:04am
phase one 306's were great - phase 2 not so much - seen too many parked with problems worth more than their worth

I just sold my wifes 306 a month or so back , had it a year was a lovely machine - needed a wagon with expanding family

easy to work on them & not many faults - safe as houses (shut the door on one, its got lots of bracing in there) & reliable / cheap to run

the 99's Ive seen have had a few faults with computers & some engine sensors - but thats 3 out of about 20 so not too bad

ema1, Jun 2, 8:53am
Thanks for that Zeph, your first hand experience I value mate.Cheers.
I'll pass that info on.

saxman99, Jun 2, 10:36am
We've had two 306 models in our family. They are bloody good cars.

pauloc, Jun 2, 11:19am
Kaz, the guy from Protecta thought the same as the guy from Autosure

esprit, Jun 2, 11:23am
306s are one of the more reliable cars on the road really. They were known for being very reliable in Europe and they just refuse to rust, hence why they're still so common on UK's salted roads where most cars of pre-2001 have long since dissolved (Toyota Corollas very much included!).

They do have their issues, but it's mainly with niggly interior fit/finish things and minor electrical things.

Issues I know of include:
- Sagging material on door trims (easily fixed if it bothers you)
- Short circuiting indicator stalks (easily fixed by stripping/rebuilding yourself)
- Failing electric window/mirror switches

All in all, pretty minor things. Parts for them seem to be HORRENDOUSLY overpriced in New Zealand, but things are dirt cheap over Ebay from the UK and the car's cheaper to keep on the road than most Japmobiles if you're savvy with a computer and don't mind bringing in parts yourself or scouring around wreckers.

I've had a couple (both GTi6s) and still have one and the only reason I'll get rid of it is because I'm eventually going to need a car with a bit of towing capacity to haul the Lotus.

snoopy221, Jun 2, 12:50pm
Gunna RESERVE my JUDGEMENY here ema.
WHY!
1 my GUT feeling on seeing and entering this thread was NO.
Zeph is aware u lkin at an auto!
dunno cld be the damn f1st time me and ole zeph are at odds-but knowin U lk i do
YOU WOULD'NT HAVE QUERIED WITHOUT REASON
SO Listen to your OWN doubts-and -IF you have bad feelings-go with ya gut
is my advice.
K- I.E phase 1 or 2 ya ! or ya rellys! /friends kids/ lookin at!
(As zeph put it.phase one 306's were great - phase 2 not so much - seen too many parked with problems worth more than their worth

- seen too many parked with problems worth more than their worth .

thejazzpianoma, Jun 2, 10:23pm
They all use the same model which is "scare anyone away from anything that isn't a Japanese car".
They do that for their own interests not that of the customers. Its really easy to see through what they are doing.

grangies, Jun 2, 11:23pm
I beg your pardon! lol.

zephyrheaven, May 3, 6:42pm
Snoop the auto's a ZF - chermanz aye - a French car with a German box well I never, not bad but

You can usually buy a written off 306 for about 200 notes in mint condition - good to have a spare sometimes 8P